Although Wikidata already provides a way to carry some lexicological data through the Lexeme extension, we lake the possibility to import definitional material into a relational database queryable from wiktionaries.
The asked Wikibase instance would aim at:
- allow to import Wiktionaries definitions
- allow to link definition to samples of use (including media for audio records, video of signed languages and so on, media should be associated to a textual transcription)
- allow to translate definitions (and transcriptions where relevant)
- allow to add statements on each definition (for example domain/context where the definition applies, register, and so on)
- allow to edit items through an API that ease contributions with external tools such as a toolforge service (this would probably be a huge plus in term of new contributor attraction as currently editing Wiktionaries is difficult for newcomers with many implicit structures)
- allow Wikitionaries (and other sister projects) to query directly the instance