The Release II ticket T205734 adds the capability to do Category filtering without Participants. OncTo make this is implementedat capability available for users, we need to adjust the filtering UI to reflect that fact. A couple of points:
- **The filtering UI is not moving (yet):** When this design is implemented, the Worklist filter will not be offered. Therefore it is my assumption that we will nt move the filtering UI to the Settings page (until we add Worklist).:** to the Settings page; !!This is based on an assumptiit will remain on that it's easier not to make that move at this timee Event Summary page. Feel free to check with @Mooeypoo reThis is a request from Engineering. whether this does in fact matter!!
- **Sequence of changes:**The changes in this UI adjustment will come after the UI "Tweak" changes described in T209107are for Release II. (That's because we will release the new reports firstThey will come after the UI "Tweak" described in T209107, then make Categories independent,which will happen for Release I. as per T205734)So the changes specified there should be included or accounted for in these new designs.
=Design challenge/filtering logic
The statements below summarize functionality associated with independent categories as succinctly as I'm able to. Making the new requirements and functionality clear to users—without significantly changing the filtering UI—is the goal of this design ticket.
Some of the statements below will need to be made clear up front and announced clearly on the page via instruction text. Others may be more appropriately conveyed through error messages (e.g., if the user included Wikidata as a wiki of interest but didn't provide Participants).or perhaps reinforced, Design and error messages may further reinforce some ideathrough design choices and/or error messages (e.g., if the user included Wikidata as a wiki of interest but didn't provide Participants; an error message for anyor if the user includes an wiki for which a filter hasn't been providedthat is not covered by filtering).
- You- Users must select Participant or Category filtering (or both); these two can also be combined.
- If you use- Participant filtering applies to all wikis and therefor covers the minimum requirement for all.
- If users employ Categories without Participants, youthey must supply categories for //every wiki// for which youthey want results (Participants apply to .
- Howevery wiki)., they will get no metrics for Wikidata (where Category filtering doesn't work).
- If you want metrics about- Categories filter articles on Wikidata contributions, you must use Participants.pedia and files on Commons (see language already provided for this in T209107)
- Categories- You can filter articles on Wikipedia and files on Commons (see language already provided in T209107)using talk page categories. Here is instruction text to that effect:
- You can include categories applied to talk pages; the system will behave as though the categories were applied to the associated main pages. Only main-page changes will be counted
T207214 describes towo UI improvements for Category filter:
- Make the category lookup menu wider
- Make the category lookup menu display the number of pages per category item:
It seems like it would make sense to include the first of these in this ticket., What do you think aboubut maybe not the second?. Should that remain in a separate ticket?