The #mediawiki-stakeholders-group has been trialling Matrix for a while (see T186061), and it generally works pretty well, except it is very slow, which is not only annoying but causes errors in some cases (especially with the IRC bridge, where user joins are not synced in time so some messages are not displayed - a problem for T187634). The "default" Matrix.org network has undergone rapid growth and hardware did not keep up with it, so probably improving the speed is just a matter of not using the overloaded/under-resourced default server, and setting up our own homeserver (and IRC bridge) instead. This would also allow us to use Wikimedia identities instead of requiring yet another password.
Software to install:
* [[https://matrix.org/docs/projects/server/synapse.html|Synapse]] (homeserver) - [[https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse|GitHub]], [[https://matrix.org/packages/debian/|apt]]
** hardware requirements: 1GB RAM, preferably more
** software requirements: Nginx, PostgreSQL, Python 2
** tutorials: [[https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse#readme|Readme]], [[https://matrix.org/blog/2016/02/10/advanced-synapse-setup-with-lets-encrypt/|cert setup]], [[https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-matrix-synapse-on-ubuntu-16-04|Ubuntu setup tutorial]]
* IRC bridge: [[https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc|matrix-appservice-irc]]? [[https://github.com/42wim/matterbridge|matterbridge]]?
* LDAP auth: [[https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-synapse-ldap3|matrix-synapse-ldap3]]? or [[https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/pull/701|built-in]]?
* OAuth auth: [[https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/issues/2376|needs to be written?]]
* Monitoring (Prometheus): [[https://github.com/matrix-org/matrixmon|matrixmon]]? or [[https://matrix.org/blog/2015/04/23/monitoring-synapse-metrics-with-prometheus/|built-in]]?
* a domain name (would be nice to use matrix.wikimedia.org from start, probably not safe though)
Other software (nice to have):
* [[https://matrix.org/docs/projects/client/riot.html|Riot]] (web gateway) - [[https://github.com/vector-im/riot-web|GitHub]], [[https://riot.im/packages/debian/|apt]]
** hardware requirements: none?
** software requirements: Node.js 6.3+, npm 3.10+
** tutorials: [[https://github.com/vector-im/riot-web#readme|Readme]]
* bots? ([[https://github.com/matrix-org/go-neb|NEB]]? [[https://github.com/matrix-org/Matrix-NEB|old NEB]]?)
* Phabricator bridge? ([[https://github.com/epiphyte/phab-http|phab-http]])
* web catalog? ([[https://github.com/a13xmt/matrixstats.org|matrixstats.org]])
* Slack bridge? ([[https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-slack|matrix-appservice-slack]]?)