The Research team will have 4 representatives during Wikimania 2019. This task captures the planning of activities for the team pre/during/post Wikimania.
**Why are we attending Wikimania?**
In no specific order:
* To learn about ongoing or new community initiatives.
* To build stronger connections with the community of volunteers, affiliates, user groups, and chapters.
* To learn about the needs of the communities and turn them to research questions when relevant.
* To help address community's research needs on-the-spot (especially through Wikimedia hackathon)
* To share updates about Research's learnings and technologies built since last Wikimania.
**What will we do while in Wikimania?**
We will expand the following table by the end of 2019-08-05.
| **Date** | **Event** | **Lead** | **Team members to attend** | **Goal** |
|2019-08-14| Hackathon | ? | All | A 1-1.5min pitch at the beginning of the hackathon to let the attendees know what they should expect from the Research table.
|2019-0814 or 15| Introduction to cross-lingual word-embeddings at Wikimania 2019 (T230059) | Diego | Interest based | A session following [[ https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Hackathon/program#Guidelines_for_adding_sessions_to_the_program | these guidelines ]]
|2019-08-14| Hackathon | | All | Mini-projects that attendees can do with us; Answer research questions that attendees may have T230417
|2019-08-15| Hackathon | | All | Mini-projects that attendees can do with us; Answer research questions that attendees may have
|2019-08-16| Research Space | Leila | |
|2019-08-16| [[ https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Research/Discovering_and_Analyzing_Wikimedia_Images | Tutorial]] | Miriam || Teach basic notions of image classification, and showing some tools to apply them to images in Wikimedia.
|2019-08-17|Research Talks| Diego | | Discuss the role of Wikimedia projects on the AI environment
|2019-08-17| Research Talk | Miriam | | Show results about the "Characterizing Wikipedia Citation Usage" project
|2019-08-17| [[https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/Characterizing_Reader_Behavior_on_Wikiplkedia|Research Talk]] | Isaac | | Report results of demographics surveys
|2019-08-17|Lightning talk | Diego | | Introducing our research in disinformation
|2019-08-18| | | |
|2019-08-16 16:00-17:20| [[ https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Meetups/Research_chapters_affiliates_usergroups_meetup | Research+Chapter+User-Groups+Affiliates meet-up ]] | Leila | All | build stronger relationships with these groups; understand their challenges; and identify opportunities to help; raise awareness about the work we do.
|2019-08-17| Presentations | by others | All ([[ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AuWr_gr8GJtx0pBux5EFLtYMs0D4mZmMtfyeivxSvJg/edit?ts=5d4854e4 | sign up ]]) | To learn about the needs of the communities and turn them to research questions when relevant.
**Reading material to prepare for the trip**
* Risker suggested that we read [[ https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Survey_of_Organized_Groups_in_the_Wikimedia_Movement.pdf | the results of a survey carried out by the Roles and Responsibilities ]] strategy working group.