The existing Grant Metrics event setup screen offers a simple way to create a new event. With the expansions intended for Event Metrics, we'll be adding new data—primarily descriptive data to make the event more understandable. Also, because we plan to add [[ https://prtksxna.github.io/wmf-prototype-gm/event.html | a lot of metrics to the main event data screen ]], we will move the Categories and Participants tools from that page to Event Setup. This move is also desirable because of an important change to the way we're defining events.
The goal of this ticket is to create an event setup workflow that is clear and simple for users and to achieve design for Event Settings that makes it the central location for defining new events and establishing all event filters.
=Significant change to functionality and design challenge
- **Currently:** Grant Metrics offers three types of "filter," __all of which are required__ when defining an event: time period, specified wiki(s), Participant list.
- **New system: **When we roll out the Categories filter (to be followed by the Worklist filter), we will also implement an important change: in Event Metrics, all filters will not be required, but there will be a minimum event definition, as follows: **__event = time period AND specified wiki(s) AND (Participants OR Category OR Worklist)__** In other words, one must pick at least one from among Participants, Categories or Worklist.
- **Design challenge:** It is essential that the design of this page clarify this minimal definition for users. I.e., in addition to signaling which fields are always required (See Existing Event Setup Fields, below), the page design must also clarify that the user must choose at least one of the the filters listed above.
- Currently in Grant Metrics, when the user submits an event with no wikis defined, she gets a dialog pointing at the wikis field and saying "please fill out this field." But the user IS allowed to save the event without Participants. And no indication is given that the the event is non-functional.
The following elements will populate the Event Settings page
===Existing Event Setup Fields (all to remain)
These fields are all already on the setup page; all are required.
- + Add wikis
- +All Wikipedias
- **Time**, with calendars and clock tools
- **Time Zone**
===Tools to be Moved from the Event Data Screen
These tools are currently on the main event data screen. They will be moved to setup and shown in their closed states.
=New fields/tools/navigation to be added
Optional fields here are labeled with a *
- ***Description** [a short, free-text field] *
- ***Event type** [menu]
- Content drive
- Photo contest
- Photo drive
- Photo walk
- Ratings drive
- Wikidata drive
- Writing contest
- ***Event partners** [Free text field]
- ***Gender breakdown (estimated) **
- # of Women [number field; maximum 5 digits]
- # of Men [number field; maximum 5 digits]
- # of Other [number field; maximum 5 digits]
- [instruction text] Enter these figures directly yourself based on your own visual count or survey. This tool is provided for the convenience of organizers who wish to track participation by gender.
- ***Location** [Free text field to be interpreted by organizer]
- ***Worklist tool** [to be defined]
- **A slug** above the page title will announce the name of the page: Event Settings
=Tools to be moved from the event data screen