It would be great to package up the awesome work that the Wikivoyage community has been doing on page banners. Sadly these page banners are restricted by the template system and to be truly mobile friendly/performant we would need to package it up as its own separate extension.
The source of the image would be configurable.
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P948 for Wikivoyage.
Let's make this happen!
Note: The mobile web team is currently interested in this for mobile projects.
- Primary Mentor: @JDlrobson
- Co-mentor: @Nicolas_Raoul
- Estimated time for a senior contributor:
- Skills needed:
- Software- PHP development
- Basic Git usage- Mediawiki development
- Daily reporting- Git usage
- Familiar with Wikidata, at least as a user
- Familiar with MediaWiki and Wikidata, at least as a user- Daily reporting
- Set up a test MediaWiki server on Labs- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T44913
- Create an extension that shows a hardcoded banner on all pages (desktop website)- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T56085
Phases of the project (draft):
- Modify this extension to take the banner from Wikidata1) Set up a test MediaWiki server on Labs
-2) Create a user interfacen extension that allshows anyone to modify a hardcoded banner directly from the wikion all pages (desktop website)
- Set up a second MediaWiki server on Labs, and set up3) Modify this extension to take the extension on itbanner from Wikidata
- Install the extension on a live small Wikivoyage, which one will be decided in a few months4) Create a user interface that allows anyone to modify a banner directly from the wiki
5) Set up a second MediaWiki server on Labs, and set up the extension on it
6) Install the extension on a live small Wikivoyage, -which one will be decided in a few months
7) If time allows, imagine and implement a way to override a article's banner locally, probably within the wikicode or with a special Wikidata variable