In the [[ https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Wishlist_Survey_2019/Multimedia_and_Commons/Option_to_embed_SVGs_as_SVGs | Community_Wishlist_Survey_2019 ]] it was suggested to support client-side-rendering of SVGs (T5593). But since that might lead to a not uniform rendering of few SVGs or in some cases increases the file-size, this should only be done, if specified by the user.
One possible to solution might be to support a feature like [[File:Filename.svg|thumb|file=svg]].
- Also the browser support is much better, it might occour in few cases that a File is rendered differently on clientside, even though different rendering occurs less often than a librsvg-bug, it is difficult to know all the possible different renderings before you embedd it as svg. Therfore it might be necesarry to define not allowed svg-features for client-rendering (T134410), f.e. language switch (T60920) might need a workaround to serve several svgs (similar to now severals pngs).
- The technical possibilty to a direct svg output might be srcset (T134455).
- Because of performance-reasons it will be usefull to define a maximum SVG-size of client-side-rendering.
- It might be usefull to avoid extensive useage of this function it might be usefull to set a flag to allow client-side-rendering, but this should only be done by f.e. Patrollers. (T5593#1684608)
- Also users might have the choise to change settings in the preference if they prefer PNGs or SVGs (T5593#958597)