Place holder talk for WMHack19 mentoring programThis year we are adding even more ways for newcomers to find mentorship and projects.
Please look at our flowchart to help you figure out where to go!: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Navigating_a_Wikimedia_Hackathon_Flowchart.svg
Friday during the opening session you will get an overview of how the event will work, we will also have a short open mic session where anyone at the event can make announcements related to newcomer specific activities. If you know what you want to work on by the end of the opening session you can join a project right away.
If you still don't know what you want to do join us in Computer Room 02 3NP for the morning and we will help direct you.
Agenda for newcomers:
- 11 - 11:30, Wikimedia Technology Overview - Srishti will give you a quick overview of Wikimedia Technology
- 11:30 - 12:00, Mentor matching session - we will match people with people (not projects) if you want to learn something specific or would like and experienced helper to guide you through the event you can meet them at this session.
- 12:00 - 12:30, Project matching session - now we will spend some time matching people with projects. We can match you directly with a project or you and your mentor can decide on a project together.
Soon we will create a detailed plan for Friday for matching participants with projects,Mentors:
If you do not have a project to share please stay in Computer Room 02 3NP between 11:00 - 12:30 on Friday with the newcomers. sessYou can help answer questions and skillswill be there when newcomers are ready to match with people.
For now you can Mentors with projects and project leaders:
Please join us in room Computer Room 01 3NP at 11 on Friday where you will work with Aaron to create a poster. You will join the newcomers at 11:30 to help us match them to people and projects.
If you have any questions, please ask on this task!
Also see the program for times / locations: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_2019/Program#Friday,_17_May:_Hackathon_starts
follow our progress here on this etherpad: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/WMHack19_Mentoring
If you would like to be involved in further developing this plan we welcome your help, please comment on this task.
General Hackathon day 1 Overview:
All participants attend the hackathon opening which will include a newcomer / mentoring briefing.
Rm 1 - technical overview NEXT mentor matching NEXT nothing
Rm 2 - poster creation NEXT skill share overview NEXT project matching
During the first session: newcomers will join the technical overview session, project leaders will create their posters, and mentors will add themselves to the mentoring page
**Changes from previous years**
- Separating mentor matching and project matching
- Physical skill share board incorporated into newcomer program
- Shorter "open mic" in opening, see the flow chart for more details
- We will have a dedicated "helpers" telegram group where folks from the technical help desk ( @debt ) and mentors will all join together to enable quick responses and help for newcomers / mentor related needs.