To promote more diversity on the WMF Board, we want to use a voting method that allows for better representation of voices of minority groups. The Board Election Committee has decided to use [Single Transferable Vote](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote) for the upcoming Board election cycle. The quota of choice is going to be [Droop quota](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droop_quota).
Step 1: Calculate the number of valid votes. This step will be done once the scrutineers have scratched out invalid votes.
Step 2. Calculate the [Droop quota](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droop_quota#Formula) for the election. Given by: //floor( valid votes / (number of seats being elected + 1 ) ) + 1//
where //floor// refers to the integer portion of the number in the brackets. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_and_ceiling_functions for more information.
Step 3. For each "rank" (1, 2, 3, 4 ....):
* Elect candidates who score more than the Droop quota (hence referred to as Dq).
* Surplus votes above the Dq are transferred on to the next candidate preferred by those voters.
* If no candidates reach Dq, the candidate with the lowest votes is eliminated and their votes are transferred to the next candidate preferred by those voters.
==== User stories & Requirements
* //As an election admin I should be able to create a poll that will use the Single Transferable vote methodology//
* //As a voter, I should be able to rank candidates as per my choice in the voting UI for a Single Transferable vote//
* //As a scrutineer, I should be able to see the voters' ranked choices when looking at voting data for a STV election//
* //As an election admin, I should be able to produce a tallied list of results for an STV election//