From the parent task T254823, there may be some situations where a newcomer is shown the wikitext editor when they select to edit a newcomer task article. This is potentially quite confusing for the user since because the guidance content is written to help users to edit using the Visual Editor instead.
=== Proposed solution
- Any time a user is detected to be in the wikitext editor, whether on desktop or mobile, show a notice within the guidance content that lets users know they should switch to VE for more accurate help.
- The notice should contain a link to switch to VE directly in the notice itself.
- We should log an event for if the user switches the editor by clicking the link.
- Use visual treatment D in the image below, in which the notice is about the "Quick start tips" header.
- The copy should say, "You are using the source editor. These editing tips are most helpful with the visual editor. Switch to the visual editor." The third sentence should be link that switches the editor.
- Note that there may be wikis in the future that will want this to be the other way around; they may want the default to be the source editor and for the notice to encourage the user to switch from the visual editor to the source editor. We should build such as to handle that in the future. The copy for this will be, "You are using the visual editor. These editing tips are most helpful with the source editor. Switch to the source editor.
**Visual treatment options:**
- Visual treatment A - Re-uses the help panel footer
- Visual treatment B - Re-uses the help panel footer with additional "warning" styling
- Visual treatment C - Places the warning notice above the tips tabs, and re-uses styling from the guidance text supplement example text box.
- !! Visual treatment D - Like C, but place the notice about the tips header. !!
NOTE: We are implementing visual treatment D