We've been working on plans to deal with "so many search options", i.e., the large number of current and potential second-try searches: "did you mean" suggestions and rewrites, interwiki search, language ID + cross-wiki search, quote stripping, wrong keyboard detection, etc.
I've got a wiki page going with background and current best plan: [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:TJones_(WMF)/Notes/So_Many_Search_Options | So Many Search Options ]].
I've been updating it after meetings and working through details. I've been trying not to let it take up too much time, but after a couple of half to full days spent on it, I'm creating the phab ticket I should have created a while back.
While full implementation doesn't need to happen now (just before we deploy any more second-try searches), getting the design done is important, especially as it [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:TJones_(WMF)/Notes/So_Many_Search_Options#API_Proposal | relates to the API ]]. We want to get that hammered out and share with the Mobile team as soon as possible so that we don't end up with a widely-used API we want to restructure.