Name: Awah Nadege Tayebatu
IRC nickname on Freenode: tybanash
Web Profile: https://github.com/tybanash
Typical working hours: 2:00 AM to 5:00 AM and 4:00 PM to 11:00 PM
The [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page |MediaWiki action API ]] is a RESTful web based API which allows the performance of wiki-actions such as searching, creating and editing wiki pages and acquiring wiki meta-information. The aim of this project is to improve the documentation of ~20 top 100 most viewed MediaWiki action API pages on-wiki. This will be carried out by doing the following:
- Updating the documentation of the API pages to follow the [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Documentation_template | documentation template ]].
- Contributing code samples to illustrate the use of the different API modules.
In addition, a bot will also be developed which mass edits sample codes from the [[https://github.com/wikimedia/MediaWiki-Action-API-Code-Samples|MediaWiki API demos repository]] to the corresponding API page on mediawiki.org.
Due to the fact the documentation of the wiki pages will be improved to follow the documentation template, it will lead to a coherent documentation of the API pages. The improved documentation together with the sample codes will help new users and contributors learn about the API and understand it faster. The bot on the other hand will help eliminate the time spent on implementing any changes made on the sample code files in the repository to the API wiki pages and vice-versa hence helping to maintain the API.
=== Possible Mentor
Jerop Brenda @jeropbrenda
**- Have you contacted your mentors already?**
I have been communicating with my mentor throughout the application process.
Describe the timeline of your work with deadlines and milestones, broken down week by week. Make sure to include time you are planning to allocate for investigation, coding, deploying, testing and documentation
Describe how you plan to communicate progress and ask for help, where you plan to publish your source code, etc
Tell us about a few:
- Your education (completed or in progress)
- How did you hear about this program?
- Will you have any other time commitments, such as school work, another job, planned vacation, etc, during the duration of the program?
- We advise all candidates eligible for Google Summer of Code and Outreachy to apply for both programs. Are you planning to apply to both programs and, if so, with what organization(s)?
- What does making this project happen mean to you?
Describe any relevant projects that you've worked on previously and what knowledge you gained from working on them. Describe any open source projects you have contributed to as a user and contributor (include links). If you have already written a feature or bugfix for a Wikimedia technology such as MediaWiki, link to it here; we will give strong preference to candidates who have done so
==Any Other Info
Add any other relevant information such as UI mockups, references to related projects, a link to your proof of concept code, etc