It would be great to package up the awesome work that the Wikivoyage community has been doing on page banners. Sadly these page banners are restricted by the template system and to be truly mobile friendly/performant we would need to package it up as its own separate extension.
The source of the image would be configurable.
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P948 for Wikivoyage.
Let's make this happen!
Note: The mobile web team is currently interested in this for mobile projects.
- Primary Mentor: @JDlrobson
- Co-mentor: @Nicolas_Raoul
- Estimated time for a senior contributor:
- Skills needed:
- PHP development
- Mediawiki development
- Git usage
- Familiar with Wikidata, at least as a user
- Daily reporting
Phases of the project (draft):
1) Set up a test MediaWiki server on Labs
2) Create an extension that shows a hardcoded banner on all pages (desktop website)
3) Modify this extension to take the banner from Wikidata
4) Create a user interface that allows anyone to modify a banner directly from the wiki
5) Set up a second MediaWiki server on Labs, and set up the extension on it
6) Install the extension on a live small Wikivoyage, which one will be decided in a few months
7) If time allows, imagine and implement a way to override a article's banner locally, probably within the wikicode or with a special Wikidata variable
**Phases of the project ( final ) - taken from the proposal and slightly tweaked**:
**Phase I**: Get a mediawiki test lab instance and create and deploy the basic version of the extension which simply displays a banner image given to it through the parser hook
**Phase II**: Add fetching of default banner value from wikidata and add functionality to load banner image of varying sizes.
**Phase III**: Add banner customization options to the extension as well as styles.
**Phase IV**: Create horizontal TOC at the bottom of the banner.
**Phase V**: Make the banner responsive so that it renders well on Mobile View as well.
~~**Phase V**: Create and integrate the image chooser UI into the banner~~
**Phase VI**: Create unit tests,Deploy and test the final extension on [[http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Headings|mediawiki-test labs]] ,document the extension