The new Wikimedia maps service is now [[ https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Salzburg#Get_around | actively used ]] at Wikivoyage, but now we need a good vision for the maps future at Wikipedia. Come discuss these and other ideas about maps.
== <map> wiki tag [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Kartographer | extension ]]
The new maps service generates tiles, but at the moment we do not have a coherent client/wiki-side support for it, forcing various labs-based implementations. [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Kartographer | Kartographer extension ]] attempts to solve that, but it needs some serious discussion on what features it should provide. Features should include extra data to show on the map specific to the article, static server-side map generation with layers, etc.
== Other ideas
* Extension replacing GeoHack - discuss, design, shape
* GeoData needs support for returning results over a wide area T112033
* Migrate VE maps plugin to use the new service (should be enabled in Wikivoyage only)
* Allow 3D model (e.g. buildings) storage in Commons T107410
* Allow GeoJSON storage in Commons
* Make Mapnik handle hstore (dictionary) values