**Participants**, please read/think about/research these, ahead of time:
* Session description:
** The role of research, analytics, and machine learning in the future of Wikimedia.
*** Research: the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions.
*** Analytics: the systematic computational analysis of data or statistics.
*** Machine learning: the construction of computer algorithms through implicit learning from data.
* Session Goals:
* Pre-event questions for discussion
* Related position statements:
* Related background reading:
**Topic Leaders**, please
* Add more details to this task description,
* Coordinate any pre-event discussions (here, IRC, email, hangout, etc),
* Outline the plan for discussing this topic at the Developer Summit.
* Optionally, include what it will //not// try to solve.
* Update this task with summaries of any pre-event discussions.
* Include ways for people not attending to be involved in discussions before the summit and afterwards.
This is one of the 8 [[https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit/2018 |Wikimedia Developer Summit 2018]] topics.
# Participation from non-attendees
# Topic leaders