//(Notes from Wikimania Hackathon.)//
The pagelist creation process is difficult for new users, and not particularly fast for experienced users. This adds a new editing widget for it, so it can be more easily edited without resorting to external programmes etc.
Aspects of the required user interface (which is at `Special:will appear in the normal Index page editing form as the 'Pagelist`):s' field):
* A grid* The normal pagelist view of thumbnails, e.g.an inline list of page numbers, 40 per pagecolour-coded by proofreading status.
* Some number per page* The default view is the same as the `<pagelist />` tag with no parameters, with pagination controls (to jump to last few pages,i.e. or middle few pages)1-n pages with normal numbering.
* Under each thumbnail is a select list of common text labels and* On clicking a number, a text-input box for numberinghumbnail pops up.
* The text labels are e.g. 'title', 'ToC', etc. as well as 'roman' for starting roman numbering (returning to arabic with 'arabic')Under the thumbnail is a select list of common text labels and a text-input box for numbering.
* The current calculated full page numbering (as seem on the index page) is shown under each thumbnail as welltext labels are e.g. 'title', 'ToC', etc. as well as 'roman' for starting roman numbering (returning to Arabic with 'arabic').
* At any point, the pagelist can be saved (this is done without page-refresh)
* Whenever the pagelist is saved, the calculated numbering is updated live in order that the user can see where is still incorrectThe numbering updates when the popup is closed (but it's not saved at this point).
* Each thumbnail can be zoomed into (but doing so crops the image when enlarging, rather than making it take up more space on the page).
Pagelist syntax: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Help:Index_pages#pagelist