Name: Dalia Nahol
IRC nickname on Freenode: dnahol
Web Profile: [[ https://github.com/dnahol | github.com/dnahol ]]
Resume: [[ https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ce8Eg2cQysiYEPGXdziB-OLoq8FOmC1I/view?usp=sharing | See PDF ]]
Location (country or state): Santa Clara, California, USA
Typical working hours (include your timezone): 9:00 - 21:00 PST (-8 UTC)
T233243 Convert all the Campaign and Program pages to React
Currently, the design of the campaigns view is very similar to the courses view for an individual course, but for courses, all the tabs (Home, Articles, etc) are rendered client-side in React, due to which we're not able to add features.
Moving to single-architecture would improve user experience as they can easily navigate from tab to tab, preserving data between tabs after initial render, so that the page feels faster.
Campaign pages will be nicer, and the architecture more consistent, if we use React pretty much everywhere and get progressively closer to a single-page app. Moreover, it will enable the filtering of the courses/campaigns, sorting courses into related campaigns or allow actions on multiple courses of a campaign at once to improve the user experience or the Dashboard.
This involves converting:
Campaign course tab
Campaign articles tab
Campaign user tab
and eventually all campaign tabs from haml to react
- Possible Mentor(s): @Ragesoss
- Have you contacted your mentors already?
I have contacted mentors via IRC and Slack
[Creating Task, Will edit more ASAP]
Describe the timeline of your work with deadlines and milestones, broken down week by week. Make sure to include time you are planning to allocate for investigation, coding, deploying, testing and documentation:
I discovered this Wikimedia Dashboard late in the Outreachy application process, as I had been focused on Mozilla Multi-Account Containers and Facebook Container. I am using the coming days in November to acquainted with this codebase, project direction, and contribute to as many issues as I can.
## Nov 4 M
- Discovered Wikimedia Dashboard Project: Convert Campaign pages to React
- Installed Environment
- Started work on first issue #1088: https://github.com/WikiEducationFoundation/WikiEduDashboard/issue/1088
## Nov 5 T, Outreachy Application Deadline
- Submitted Outreachy Application
- Contacted @Ragesoss via IRC
- Joined Wikimedia Slack, got up to speed
- Continued work on first issue #1088
## Nov 6 W - Nov 8 F
- First PR, for issue #1088: https://github.com/WikiEducationFoundation/WikiEduDashboard/pull/3472
- Create Proposal and Timeline on Phabricator
## Nov 9 S - Nov 10 Su
- Edit and finalize Timeline on Phabricator
- Take in any feedback for PR #3472, make any necessary changes
- Choose and start work on 2nd Issue
## Nov 11 M Week
## Nov 18 M Week
## Nov 25 M Week
## Dec 2 M (Week 1 of Internship)
## Dec 9 M (Week 2 of Internship)
## Dec 16 M (Week 3 of Internship)
## Dec 23 M (Week 4a of Internship)
## Dec 24 T - W Dec 25 Christmas Family time
## Dec 26 Th (Week 4b of Internship)
## Dec 30 M (Week 5a of Internship)
## Dec 31 T - W Jan 1 New Year Family time
## Jan 2 Th (Week 5b of Internship)
## Jan 6 M (Week 6 of Internship)
## Jan 13 M (Week 7 of Internship)
## Jan 20 M - Jan 21 T Family Event
## Jan 22 W (Week 8 of Internship)
## Jan 27 M (Week 9 of Internship)
## Feb 3 M (Week 10 of Internship)
## Feb 10 M (Week 11 of Internship)
## Feb 17 M (Week 12 of Internship)
## Feb 24 M - Feb 26 W (Week 13a of Internship)
## Feb 27 Th Family Event
## Feb 28 F - Mar 3 Tu (Week 13b of Internship)
Describe how you plan to communicate progress and ask for help, where you plan to publish your source code, etc
Tell us about a few:
- Your education (completed or in progress)
A. B. Sociology, Environmental Studies, Princeton 2011
Self-taught Software Engineer
Previously held positions:
Freelance Web Development Consultant
Software Engineer at Flippable.org
- How did you hear about this program?
I heard about Outreachy via a peer in an algorithms and data structures meetup.
- Will you have any other time commitments, such as school work, another job, planned vacation, etc, during the duration of the program?
I plan on being completely focused on this internship with these dates as exceptions for family time:
Dec 24, 25, 31
Jan 1, 20, 21
- We advise all candidates eligible for Google Summer of Code and Outreachy to apply for both programs. Are you planning to apply to both programs and, if so, with what organization(s)?
No, I am not a student and thus am not eligible for Google Summer of Code.
- What does making this project happen mean to you?
It would be an invaluable experience and I would thrilled to have the privilege of making this project happen. It would be immensely satisfying to me both professionally in my journey as a developer and personally as a user and admirer of Wikimedia.
Describe any relevant projects that you've worked on previously and what knowledge you gained from working on them. Describe any open source projects you have contributed to as a user and contributor (include links). If you have already written a feature or bugfix for a Wikimedia technology such as MediaWiki, link to it here; we will give strong preference to candidates who have done so