To potentially publish on blog.wikimedia.org **after Feb 02** when Grand Prize winners have been decided by Wikimedia and published by Google.
I'm dropping this here, can also be moved to some wikipage or such. Just do it.
== Blogpost draft (feel free to edit): ==
For the second time, Wikimedia took part in the annual Google Code-in contest sponsored and run by Google.
<a href="https://www.google-melange.com/gci/homepage/google/gci2014">Google Code-in</a> is a contest to introduce pre-university students between 13 and 17 years to contributions which make free and open source software (FOSS) development happen. 12 mentoring FOSS organizations (Wikimedia being among them) provided tasks that students could work on. Students who complete tasks receive a certificate and a t-shirt from Google.
In those seven weeks of the contest, TODO:XXXX Wikimedia tasks were completed by TODO:XXXX students, supported by TODO:XXXX mentors.
TODO: Are statements from students wanted? (Examples: <a href="http://bitshy.com/blog/?p=5">Blogpost by Unicodesnowman</a> and <a href="http://daviskr.com/blog/2015/01/10/code-in-with-wikimedia/">Daviskr</a>) We do not have and should not ask for mail addresses, but students could be contacted via IRC or by CC'ing them on this task.
TODO: Are statements/experience of mentors wanted (mentors could be CC'ed in Phabricator)?
* KiwiX (Kelson?)
* MultimediaViewer (Gergő/tgr?)
* Pywikibot (javyd, xzise?)
* VisualEditor Template Data (mvolz?)
TODO: Update list some further achievements from closed tasks on https://www.google-melange.com/gci/dashboard/google/gci2014#all_org_tasks :
* Wikidata (Lydia, aude?)
* Several MW extensions do not use deprecated i18n functions anymore
* Citoid offers export in BibTeX format
* The <a href="https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help">Wikimedia Phabricator documentation</a> received many video screencasts
* Huggle's offers updated documentation and improved internationalization (pbena?)
* Reasons for MW sites listed as defunctional on WikiApiary and popular MediaWiki requests of customers were researched
* TODO: Update list and add more ones
* ...and many, many more.
Congratulations to Wikimedia's two best students: XXXX YYYY and XXXX YYYY!
These Grand Prize Winners have won a trip to Google's Headquarters in California!
And congratulations to the many other students who also contributed to Wikimedia and its mission to freely share knowledge!
Are you also interested in contributing to Wikimedia?
Check out the <a href="https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Annoying_little_bugs">list of easy bugs</a> to start with!