* Copy the source code of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama?oldid=740641055&mobileaction=beta to a local wiki
* Ensuring you are in beta scroll down to the references section and expand it open
* Expected: The note section should render the list of references.
* Actual: The fallback link continues to show
The problem seems to be that Skin.js expects the API to return a list of subsections but interestingly the API returns the top most section that contains references.
Compare the response of a request [[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ApiSandbox#action=mobileview&format=json&page=Barack+Obama§ions=references&prop=text%7Csections | with prop seections ]] compared to [[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ApiSandbox#action=mobileview&format=json&page=Barack+Obama§ions=references&prop=text | one without ]].
I'm not sure if this is a feature or bug, but there are 2 courses of action here:
1) We keep the existing response, but replace gateway.getReferencesLists with gateway.getReferenceSections and simplify Skin.lazyLoadReferences to simply replace the content block of the entire section with the HTML from the response.
2) We fix the API to send parent sections and keep the status quo.
Personally I'm in a favor of #1. It leads to the cleanest frontend code.