This task is for the work involved with making it possible for people who are logged in to turn the Reply Tool on/off.
//For the broader conversation/work involved with architecting how we might represent the various settings associated with the tools and enhancements we will introduce as part of the [Talk pages project](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_project), please see this task: T257889.//
//People who are logged in that would like to turn the Reply Tool on/off, should be able to do the following://
1. Visit `Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing`
2. Notice a section titled `Talk pages` located beneath the existing `Preview` section
-- //Note: "Talk" should match the label we give to discussion pages on that wiki, so by default for English it is "Discussion" (as seen on en.wiktionary.org), whereas on en.wikipedia.org it is "Talk"...
3. Notice a setting titled `Enable quick replying`
4. Notice a description beneath the `Enable quick replying` setting that reads: `Enabling this setting will show you a link to reply to talk page comments in one click. You can learn more about this feature by visiting the [feature summary](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_project/Feature_summary#Reply_Tool)`.
- [ ] This new setting should appear in `Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing` within a new section called `Talk pages` [i][ii]
-- [ ] The section title should match what each wiki calls the talk namespace
- [ ] The item/setting should called `Enable quick replying`
- [ ] The item/setting should have a subtitle that reads: `Enabling this setting will show you a link to reply to talk page comments in one click. You can learn more about this feature by visiting the [feature summary](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_project/Feature_summary#Reply_Tool)`.
- [ ] When the radio button is **enabled**, the `[ reply ]` links should appear on discussion pages
- [ ] When the radio button is **disabled**, the `[ reply ]` links should NOT appear on discussion pages
- [ ] The `Talk pages` section should appear //after// the `Preview` section on the `Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing` page.
- [ ] The Reply Tool will need to be able to be deployed differently at different wikis
-- //Meaning: the Reply Tool will need to be available to all users at ar.wiki by default, whereas at fr.wiki, the tool will need be available via [Beta Features](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Beta_Features)//
- [ ] The state of this new setting (`Enabled` / `Disabled`) should be inherited from [Beta Features](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Beta_Features)
-- //Meaning: if you had the `Discussion tools` Beta Feature enabled at ar.wiki, the `Enable quick commenting` setting should be turned on by default for you.//
- Once deployed, the [New Discussion Tool](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_project/New_discussion) will too have its own preference within the to be created `Communication` section within `Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing`
=== Open questions
- [x] Should an additional setting be added that enabled people to explicitly set which editing mode – `source` or `visual` – they see by default when they open the Reply Tool? //Said setting would override the "sticky preference" that is currently implemented.//
-- For now, no. //See: T259943#6425642 //
- [x] All "Open questions" are answered
- [ ] The behavior described in the "Behavior" section is implemented
- [ ] All "Requirements" are met
i. A rough mock up of what I have in mind: