A summary of the main points mentioned in the discussion.
== The change ==
When a user clicks on a project tag or when a user selects a project in the suggestions of a query, the user is sent to the project workboard instead of the initial project page.
== The problem ==
* Many users expect to find the main project page with information about the project.
* The workboard is an advanced view of a project that users were able to access directly already via the "(column name)" link in tasks.
* Many projects haven an unused workboard consisting on a long Backlog column, which is not welcoming at all.
* In Phabricator creating projects (tags) is cheap, but not all tags require a workboard.
== The proposal ==
To go back to the previous setup, where tags and suggestions would lead to the main page of projects, and "(column name)" links would point to workboards. The new left bar offers a link to workboards, and it is present in more places now.
Due to a recent change (in Phabricator version? the sprint extension? some configuration setting?), clicking on a project tag now brings you to the workboard instead of the project profile. This is a bad idea for several reasons:
* Don't know about others, but for me by far the most frequent interaction with a project is to get the list of open tasks (ie. maniphest search). The second most frequent is trying to find out what the project is about (and whether I would be using it correctly by adding to some task I am working on), ie. profile page. Accessing the workboard is exceedingly rare (pretty much once a week on sprint meetings and then I just keep the tab open).
* Workboards can be huge, as all open tasks are displayed by default, which can mean several thousand little boxes. So having to go through the workboard to reach the profile is a lot slower than having to go through the profile to reach the workboard. (The Multimedia board takes 5s to load, vs. 1s for the bug list and 0.5s for the project page.)
* Most projects don't actually have a workboard, but there is no way to disable it in Phabricator, so they get an auto-generated workboard with all the tasks in the backlog column. This is not exactly useful as a starting screen.
* The navigation bar is not super obvious, so users less familiar with Phabricator get a very confusing experience. The project page in contrast has pretty obvious buttons for accessing the bug list and the workboard.
* We have an extension which interacts heavily with workboards so there is some chance of them breaking on an update (as has happened in the past: T78208). With workboards being the default view, this would cripple Phabricator; otherwise, it's just an inconvenience.
I guess it makes sense for sprint projects to default to the workboard, but not for the rest.