This ticket is to capture the work #community-tech will be doing for the SVG translate project requested in the [2017 wishlist survey](https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2017_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Multimedia_and_Commons/SVG-Translate).
As a user, I want to translate an SVG file with text labels so I can use it on multiple wikis. Here's an example -
SVG of [Anatomy of Human Ear](https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Anatomy_of_the_Human_Ear_en.svg) in English. Usage of the file on other wikis:
* [Tamil wiktionary](https://ta.wiktionary.org/wiki/செவிப்பறை)
###Current translation solutions:
#####1. [SVG Translate tool](https://tools.wmflabs.org/svgtranslate/) on ToolForge ([code](https://github.com/Jarry1250/labs-svgtranslate/))
**How it works:**
* User enters a file name in the
* The interface contains the SVG image along with an interface to translate text strings found in the SVG:
* The user can add translations and select the language the translations are for.
* Once translated, the tool creates [a new, translated version](https://github.com/Jarry1250/labs-svgtranslate/blob/master/svgtranslate.php#L287) of the SVG.
* The user then has an option of either downloading the new SVG version and uploading to commons themselves or uploading from the tool itself (using OAuth)
* The user then links the new translated version to the original version
**Status** - Doesn't appear to work. OAuth is reportedly broken since a long time.
#####2. Manual translation using graphic/text editors
* In the absence of the above tool, it appears that most users use text editors to edit SVG files and upload them. This severely limits the number of people able to do this.
#####3. WIP [TranslateSVG extension](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TranslateSvg) ([code](https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-TranslateSvg))
* [GSoC project roadmap document](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TranslateSvg/2.0)
* [Video](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:TranslateSvg.ogv) for the working extension
* Based on the video, here's my interpretation of how it works:
** User goes to Special:TranslateSVG
** Inputs the file name
** There is a page which shows all the existing translations
** Click a button to get a pop-up where user enters new language code
** User gets a form with each `<text>` string in original language along with an input box to translate it.
** Every string has an input for X and Y coordinates as well.
** User saves translations
** User can embed file using `[[File:ABC|lang=de]]` syntax
**Status:** Extension is not deployed anywhere. The [testwiki](http://translatesvg.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page) that was setup for the extension no longer works.