This task represents the work involved with evaluating the usability of Version 2.0 of the Reply tool with people who have little-to-no-experience using Wikipedia talk pages.
This task is a a follow up to the usability test we ran with Version 1.0 of the Reply tool.
- v1.0 usability test script: [Usability test of Reply v1.0](https://docs.google.com/document/d/12zaCdZDnlgwmzi93rRC8xu9DQJEG_0kfgfDWVhzBySQ/edit#heading=h.gho4hntcrsko)
- v1.0 usability test findings: [Version_1.0_prototype](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_project/replying#Version_1.0_prototype_(usertesting.com))
=== Test goals
- To understand whether the new features introduced in version 2.0 of the Replying tool are intuitive for people who have little-to-no-experience using Wikipedia talk pages.
- To understand whether the Reply tool as a whole is intuitive for people who have little-to-no-experience using Wikipedia talk pages.
- To identify parts of the Replying tool that could be improved to make it easier for people to start using and to complete what they set out to accomplish.
=== Test details
- **Platforms:** desktop
- **Account type:** logged in and logged out
- **Default text input:** `source` and `visual`
-- Meaning: one round of tests should land people in the Reply tool's `source` mode; one round of tests should land people in the Reply tool's `visual` mode.
- **Test pages:** each test participant should be linked to a separate talk page.
-- Each talk page link should include `?dtvisual=1` at the end of the URL to ensure the `visual` mode is available to test participants.
=== Workflow to test
In addition the Reply tool's core workflows (e.g. draft and publish a response in that discussion, locate published response on the talk page), we would like to test these new workflows Version 2.0 is introducing:
- Style the content of the comment they are writing (e.g. bold and italicize).
- Ping another user. Scenarios:
-- Ping someone who has commented in the discussion the tester is commenting in
-- Ping someone who has commented in a different discussion on the talk page the tester is commenting on
-- Ping someone who has not commented on the talk page the tester is commenting on
- Change the user the tester had selected to ping, to a different user
-- //Read: if they initially had selected `USER A` to ping have them ping `USER B`//
- Delete the ping they had entered into the text input
- Insert a link to another Wikipedia page into the comment they are writing
- Be made aware when someone responds to something they've said
=== Test script
//To be added by @iamjessklein//
- Each test participant should be explicitly asked what they understand the `visual` and `source` affordances to mean and do.//
- [ ] Draft test script
- [ ] Run test
- [ ] Document test findings and recommendations on ticket, complete with standout quotes and links to the parts of the tests where the quotes occur.