This is a request for comments for MediaWiki to have a sane and easy to use configuration interface through the wiki user interface. This RfC is based off a [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment//Configuration database|previous RfC]] and the [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Configure | Configure ]] MediaWiki extension.
== Goal ==
Many of the various MediaWiki settings should be adjustable by local administrators/bureaucrats without requiring sysadmin intervention. Additionally, this would make those configuration values public to all users without requiring the LocalSettings.php file being uploaded somewhere.
== Requirements ==
* Overall goal: Site administrators should be able to configure various global settings via a web interface instead of editing a PHP file.
* Performant: should not slow down the site
* Backwards compatible: should work fine with existing code and extensions
* Farm support: Work for both single-wiki installations and large farms like Wikimedia
* Cross-wiki support: should be able to access another wiki's settings
== Implementation ==
There are three major steps in implementing this:
# An interface and internal API for accessing and setting various configuration options (see [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Graphical_configuration_interface#Accessing settings |Accessing settings ]] in RFC)
# An actual "configuration database"
# A graphical configuration interface
**For details, see [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Graphical_configuration_interface | Graphical configuration interface in the wiki RfC ]].**