The Preferences page for Recent Changes includes many settings. The beta RC page tools should be compatible with these settings. And all users' current preferences should carry over to the new system.
The following are a list of preferences on en.wiki that we need to be sure to plan for.
====Prefs with implications for the beta===
- **Hide minor edits from recent changes** Unselected by default. If the user selects it, then activate the following filter and display it as a default in the Active Filter Display Area: Non-minor edits.
- **Hide categorization of pages** This is __selected__ by default. If the user UNSELECTS it, activate the following filter and display it as a default in the Active Filter Display Area: Category changes.
- **Show Wikidata edits by default in recent changes and watchlist (does not work yet with enhanced changes)** This is __selected__ by default. If the user UNSELECTS it, activate the following filter and display it as a default in the Active Filter Display Area: Wikidata edits.
- **Hide probably good edits from recent changes** !!We could take two approaches here:!! 1) eliminate the option from Prefs. (Esp. since we're planning a feature that lets users save their favorite filter settings) 2) activate and show as defaults: May have problems, Likely have problems, and Very likely have problems. Functionally, that would be equivalent, but the downside is that it would make an already slightly awkward default filter lineup more likely to provoke user confusion and questions. If we do go this way, I would want to re-word the preference to align it with the new functionality, like so: "Show only edits that likely have problems (and hide probably good edits)" Much as I hate it, I'm inclined to go with option #2.
- **ORES sensitivity** Since this would conflict with the new filtering model, it should be removed from the RC page prefs page and its effect on RC page should be eliminated. However, the setting currently affects Watchlist, Contributions, Related Changes. So I recommend 1) moving this option to the Watchlist prefs, 2) making sure settings are retained and migrated for all current ORES users and continue to work on all other ORES-enabled pages, and 3) change the descriptive text next to the current feature as follows: This threshold determines how sensitive ORES is when flagging edits needing review on Watchlist, Contributions and Related Changes.
===Prefs with no obvious implications for the beta===
The following options would not seem to have any obvious effect on the new filtering scheme. But we should be sure they continue to work as before. Some of these expand, change or reorganize RC page search results. I assume none of them would have an effect on our highlighting, but we should make sure.
- Days to show Recent Changes
- Number of edits to show in recent changes by default
- Group changes by page
- Use detailed boxes to show review status of pages
- Use small icons and minimal text to show review status of pages
- Use the default settings for each page
- Always show the stable version (if there is one)
- Always show the latest version