//**Finding from usability testing conducted in T167129:**//
The majority of users are more interested offline reading for specific topics, rather than to have the ‘entire Wikipedia’ available (as well as not having storage and/or data to download these larger packs).
Provide a sideloading-only 'bonus feature' version which can benefit users who are //already using Kiwix for reading Wikipedia// whilst working on long-term solution(s) to serve apt content for New Readers and existing readers.
This ticket tracks tasks TBC for releasing a sideloading-only version of the Offline Library.
- Revise how users can access the Offline Library - initial proposal is to create a Setting in the app to give permissions to turn on the Offline Library feature, which will also enable the 'Offline Library' menu item in the feed overflow.
- Create a read-only version of the Offline Library screen
- Revise card messaging when a user with ZIMs is offline
- Fix error conditions – thoroughly test the downloading and opening of article packs across different devices, since some users encountered unrecoverable errors
- Improve error messaging – update error messaging to more precisely explain bugs, including a suggested solution if possible rather than the current “An unknown error occurred” text.
- Track errors encountered offline – Build Eventlogging for when users are back online
- Improve format of “Main page” across all article packs – since users across studies often used the ‘Main page’ as the entry point to use packs, they wanted to see a clearer ‘introductory’ text and high-level contents similar to the main page of the WikiMed pack.