As Ed surfaced in chat, conversations  about what the most useful workflow  for previewing a reply composed in wikitext have been going on for some time.
The design, thus far , has the preview "replacing" a contributor's text input.
This task is about exploring what an approach might look like where a contributor is able to view their text input and a preview of how their text input will be rendered on the page //at the same time//.
//As a contributor, you can...//
- **Easily differentiate between the reply you are drafting in the reply text input area, the preview of said reply draft and the content on the rest of the talk page**
- **Know, at any given moment, how the reply you are drafting will look once it's posted to the talk page.**
-- **Know whether the wikitext you wrote is rendering properly.** Said another way: you can depend on the preview to identify when something is behaving in a way you didn't intend it to.
--- //e.g. a link is invalid, there is a line break in a place you didn't intend there to be one, etc. (see: [Topic:Vcehezaiyl3znf0d](https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Topic:Vcehezaiyl3znf0d&topic_showPostId=vcpc9u987629onbw#flow-post-vcpc9u987629onbw)).//
- **Know when the software has done something you did not expect.**
-- //e.g. `== Welcome ==` not saving to the page in a way you expect (see: T241388#5762825) or the content of a reply affecting other parts of the talk page (see: [Topic:Vcwvt3bq03o5gv8h](https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Topic:Vcwvt3bq03o5gv8h&topic_showPostId=vdzdxwfsk2lq2bbi#flow-post-vdzdxwfsk2lq2bbi)).//
=== Open questions
//A ranked list, where "1." is the most important question to be answered//
1. Where is the live preview shown in relationship to the text input area? Above it? Below it? Somewhere else?
2. How should the live preview be styled?
3. What should be shown within the preview window as the preview is being populated?
4. When should the preview window become visible to the user?
5. Should there be a "fallback" experience on slow connections? What should this experience look like?
6. Should contributors be able to hide and/or disable live previews?
=== Community input
We are seeking community input on-wiki, here: [Talk:Talk pages project/replying](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Vcehezaiyl3znf0d)
- [ ] Mockup showing what it would be like for contributors to be able to view their text input and a preview of how that text input would be rendered on the page when published
- [ ] Mockups to both approaches are posted on wiki for contributor input
1. T155732, [Preview "oddity" w.r.t. sidebar](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Th7bhe23lcp2168j), [A Preview panel that doesn't obscure the wikitext edit box (Was: No feature parity)](https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Topic:Tjcvoydqbk5h1n4l)
2. Does the preview "overtake" the text input area? Is the preview presented in a way such that the content a contributor has composed and the preview of said text are viewable simultaneously?
3. [Zeplin](https://app.zeplin.io/project/5db98e5c0c012583409eb5f9/screen/5dba396b98c4802c45d2caa2) + T235592