This task is about introducing the ability for people to be able to link to specific talk page comments.
//This surfaced again in the context of T264885.//
- **As someone** who is wanting to reference a specific thing someone has said now, and at any point in the future, **I want** to be able to generate a permanent link to any individual comment posted on a wikitext talk page, **so that** I, and anyone else in the future (including my future self!), can revisit the comment and better understand the context the link to said comment may be embedded within.
//⚠️ Draft-state. The requirements in this section will finalized, and this disclaimer removed, once the `=== Mockups` below are finalized.//
- Platform(s): **Desktop** + **Mobile**
- Skin(s): **All**
- State of `Show discussion activity` setting: **Enabled** and **Disabled**
- Comment permalinks/URLs should work regardless of how the context around the comment changes
-- //E.g. the name of the topic/section in which the comment exists changes, the page on which the comment exists changes, etc.//
- Comment URLs/permalinks should be human-readable
- An affordance of some kind appears visually related to the comment for which it will generate a link
- Once someone clicks/taps an affordance, the permalink to said comment should automatically be added to the device the person is using's clipboard without the page reloading
-- Said "permalink" ought to take people to the latest version of the page on which said comment exists. <-- //via @Tacsipacsi in [Topic:Wmredg44lh8v9x9i](https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Topic%3AWmredg44lh8v9x9i&topic_showPostId=wmtpyrt5qqnd1cpy&useskinversion=2#flow-post-wmtpyrt5qqnd1cpy).//
-- Upon clicking/tapping the link affordance, people should be made aware that a link to said comment has been added to their clipboard //and// be shown the specific comment for which the permalink was generated
//The requirements above are – in large part – inspired by the permalinking gadget @Esanders implemented which you can experiment with by [following these instructions](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Wmredg44lh8v9x9i?useskinversion=2).//