* Track: Local Development and onboarding
* Topic: Local development environment - complex multi-service Mediawiki development
Is it feasible to try to create and maintain an environment on developers' computers for complex multi-service MediaWiki development? What options do we have and how can they be improved?
=Questions to answer and discuss=
**Question:** What is the definition of production-like that is good for us?
**Significance:** There is a desire for production-like environments because developers need to have confidence their code will pass tests and run as expected in production, but we also need to take into account resource limitations and complexity of such solutions.
**Question:** What is the right balance of push button vs manual setup?
**Significance:** Providing a push button environment that is configurable makes the tooling harder to reason about and require more maintenance.
= Related Issues =
* T234632 - Wikimedia Technical Conference 2019 Session: Local development environment - MediaWiki core
=Pre-reading for all Participants=
* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_Satisfaction - Optional if you want to delve deeper into fundamental issues. Relevant problems will be presented briefly before discussion of this topic.
=Notes and Facilitation guidance=
=Session Style / Format=
* [what type of format will this session be?]
**Session Leaders** please:
 Add more details to this task description.
 Coordinate any pre-event discussions (here on Phab, IRC, email, hangout, etc).
 Outline the plan for discussing this topic at the event.
 Optionally, include what this session will //not// try to solve.
 Update this task with summaries of any pre-event discussions.
 Include ways for people not attending to be involved in discussions before the event and afterwards.
Post-event action items: