This task is about implementing the changes necessary to ensure people are being bucketed in the New Discussion Tool A/B test (T277825) as expected.
People who meet all of the "Conditions" listed below, ought to have a 50% chance of being bucketed into the A/B test's `control` or `test` group. Bucketing should be done on a per Wikipedia basis.
-- People who are editing at the Wikipedias listed in the `===Participating wikis` section of T277825.
-- People who are editing as logged in or logged out users
-- People should remain the same group they were bucketed in for the duration of the test (even if they explicitly turn on or off the tool in their preferences)
-- People who have NOT used the New Discussion Tool before, as determined by the state of the `discussiontools-newtopictool-opened` preference.
- In order for us to identify any non-discussion tool `EditAttemptStep` events by users in the New Discussion Tool A/B test (T277825), the `**Bucketing criteria**` will need to be implemented such that the following is true:
-- We are able to distinguish between A/B test and non-A/B test events within `EditAttemptStep`
-- Within the New Discussion A/B test, we are able to distinguish between Discussion Tool and non-Discussion Tool events.
-- Within the New Discussion Tool A/B test, we are able to distinguish all events logged for the `control` group and the `test` group
--- //This includes both Discussion Tools and VisualEditor/WikiEditor events//
- The test bucket a person is assigned to should be reflected in/consistent with the state of the `quick topic adding` setting within `Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion`
-- //Read: if you are in the `test` group, we assume the New Discussion Tool will be enabled for you by default. As such, the `Quick topic adding` in `Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion` should show as being "enabled".//
//Note: we implemented something similar to above for the Reply Tool A/B test in T273096.//
=== Minimal test case
# Log in to wiki as a user who has never used the new topic tool before (or set their DT beta preference)
# Visit a talk page (because bucketing happens the first time we actually need to check whether you qualify for the feature)
# In JS console enter `mw.config.get( 'wgDiscussionToolsABTestBucket' )`
# This should show "control", "test", or "". (The first two are in-test, the last means you've never been bucketed)
You may need to create a few accounts to verify that you do get assigned to different buckets.
- [x] 1. What – if any – additional work will need to be done to include logged out users within the A/B test?
-- //See T291307#7567176.//
- [x] 2. What – if any – client-side QA will need to be done the bucketing this ticket is asking for has been implemented as expected?
-- @Ryasmeen will verify people are being bucketed within the client; a check of how people are being bucketed in aggregate will happen in T291308.
- [ ] All `===Open questions` are answered
- [ ] A patch has been deployed that meets what's described in the `===Requirements` section above
- [ ] @Ryasmeen has verified people are being bucketed (a check of how people are being bucketed in aggregate will happen in T291308)