- Content Translation uses the visual editor codebase for its editing surface, so it's very likely that it is emitting EditAttemptStep (and VisualEditorFeatureUse) events.
- The above is relevant to the Editing Team because they depends on the two schemas mentioned above to understand how people are using VE and DiscussionTools.
- As they are currently implemented, when any team does analysis that uses data from the EditAttemptStep and VisualEditorFeatureUse schemas, that analysis will conflate usage data from distinct editing experiences/contexts: Visual editor and Content Translation. Specifically, we'd like to be able to do each of the following:
-- (1) Remove events related to Content translation if we want to review just primary Visual Editor page edits
-- (2) See content translation-related VE edits only
-- (3) Review ContentTranslation and VE edits together
- Create a way for Product Analytics to differentiate between events logged in VEFU and EAS that are emitted through/by ContentTranslation usage. //See the `===Approaches` section below for how this could be implemented and achieved.//
~~**Approach #1: suppress/prevent ContentTranslation events from being logged in EAS and VEFU schemas**~~
- ~~"We could make sure these are suppressed to avoid skewing the data in those streams, where are meant to be for the "main" visual editor only. Whatever strategy we use could also be used for any other tools that reuse visual editor and should not be included in the same analytics (I'm not aware of any, but if not now, hopefully there will be more in the future!)."~~
**Approach #2: explicitly tag/mark events being logged in EAS and VEFU schemas as being emitted by ContentTranslation**
- Make it so all evens emitted by ContentTranslation are tagged with an `integration` [Schema:EditAttemptStep](https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schema:EditAttemptStep)
- Any person/group (e.g. members of the Editing and Product Analytics teams) looking at data logged using the VisualEditorFeatureUse and/or EditAttemptStep schemas can differentiate visual editor and non-visual editor events.
=== Open questions
- [x] How is ContentTranslation integrated into VE? //The answer to this question will inform how we go about "dinstringuishiing" between the events emitted by these two interfaces.//
-- ✅ContentTranslation is "integrated" into VE in ways that should give us the flexibility to decide whether it/its events are explicitly noted in integration or editor_interface within the two schemas. //See: T270636#6759278.//
- [x] What is an optimal approach for ensuring it is clear where the events VEFU and EAS are being emitted from?
-- ✅Approach #2: explicitly tag/mark events being logged in EAS and VEFU schemas as being emitted by ContentTranslation. //See: T270636#6759278.//
- [x] All `===Open questions` are addressed
- [x] `===Requirements` are completed
- [x] An `===Approach` is decided upon
- [ ] The `===Requirements` are implemented