Name: Teke Noella
IRC nick: noela
Typical working hours (+ timezone): 08pm-2am UTC +1
The MassMessage extension allows a user to send a message to a list of pages via special page (as stated [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MassMessage | here ]]). The extension is used by one or more MediaWiki project. MassMessage is more than four years old, and technical debt has accumulated. This project aims at making the clean up and refactoring of the extension.
- Put the extension into a PHP namespace (MediaWiki\MassMessage).
- Have "targets" use a value object instead of passing arrays around.
- Turn MassMessage::getTargets() into an abstract MassMessage\SpamlistLookup or something, and have individual classes extend it.
- Break down the giant MassMessage class into smaller ones that have less responsibility.
- Allow using Wikidata items as spam lists [[ https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T171617 | phab:T171617 ]]
- Warn when <ref> tag is present but no <refrences> tag is present [[ https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T156167 | phab:T156167 ]]
Describing the timeline of my work with deadlines and milestones, broken down in 2weeks Including time I am planning to allocate for investigation, coding, deploying, testing and documentation
- Nov 09 - Nov 23
- Community Bonding Period
- Make research on Project
- Nov 23 - Dec 07
- Community bonding continues
- Discuss about development method and tools to use with mentors
- Dec 07 - Dec 21
- Gather necessary development requirements and get setup for development
- Start implementation of Project
- Dec 21 - Jan 04
- Write test suits for project and submit it to mentors for review
- Documenting and daily reporting of work done
- Jan 04 - Jan 18
- Jan 18 - Feb 01
- Feb 01 - Feb15
- Feb 15 - Mar 05
- Code clean up
- Improving documentation and reviewing documentations
- After Internship
Describing how I plan to communicate, progress and ask for help.
In other to keep track of the progress of my work, I will be documenting the work done everyday and on weekends I will send via mail, a report of the progress to my mentors, while keeping the wiki report page up to date.
I shall be communicating more on the IRC with the mentors and maybe on hangout and other means they will find appropriate or more comfortable to use.
I will do a lot of personal research on my own so as to have a minimum number of questions to ask the mentors, but of course communication is very important between mentor and candidate and as such, I will make sure to always be reachable and available.
Telling a few about me:
I am a drop out from university due to unstable political and economical situations in my Country. I was learning Geology at the university. I have always loved technology and got involved with programming. This year, with all the instability in my country (Teachers strike, Internet cut off in some regions, academic year canceled), I got myself more involved into programming (had just that to do). I joined the tech Community in my area. Participating at Dev meetups, Volunteering in organizing events, joining programming clubs and that gave me the opportunity to hear about Opensource, Wikimedia Foundation, and finally heard of Outreachy Program. In our area, we had an event that aimed at teaching us how to contribute to Wikimedia. I was feeling so exited to be able to write code that will be used by millions of persons and I will like to experience that more. My aim applying to this program is to learn more and also to usefully occupy myself during the duration of this program.
Describe any relevant projects that you've worked on previously and what knowledge you gained from working on it
I have worked on a few php projects but unfortunately just for fun :) and I knew nothing of the existence of code repositories like Github where I could save my projects. I learnt about opensource and Wikimedia Foundation with it projects from a wikimedia workshop organised in my area some months back.
**First Patch**: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/382145
**Second Patch**: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/383564/
**Third Patch**: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/384199/
===Any other Info