This is an umbrella bug report for a set of recurring bugs that we have accepted for a long time, but which have increasingly become obstacles to both normal sharing of educational files on the projects, and to onboarding new community members who work with documents or data. (Because why should they join a community that does not accept their work?)
(0) Add FileTypes tag.
> There are hundreds of file formats we should eventually support; the hard-to-follow response to dozens of past bugs on related issues is in part related to the lack of a single queue for related work. The "[[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Adding_support_for_new_filetypes | how to add support for new filetypes ]]" guide is a great start; a tag here will help. Work on things like finessing tabular-data support (into a new namespace) (on Commons only) might also merit the tag.
(1) Add Data and Documents as categories in Commons search.
> (Currently it has Images, Audio, Video, and Other Media -- add Documents, Data, before Other)
(2) Add upload support for essential document file formats
> (Currently we support only PDF, arguable the least open of all of these)
- 2.1) Add .RDF support
- 2.3) Add .EPUB format
- 2.2) Add .ODT support - T45154 (for all ODF formats)
- 2.4) Add .ODP support - T45154 (for all ODF formats), (presentations)
- 2.5) Review other OO formats - OASIS (T4089),
(3) Add upload support for essential data file formats
> (Currently we support NO STRUCTURED DATA FORMATS AT ALL, despite using them in every technical part of our workflow)
- 3.1) Add .CSV support
- 3.2) Add .JSON support
- 3.3) Add .XML support (see also Music XML: T214023)
- 3.4) Add .SQLite support (widely used, selected as an archival format by the Library of Congress)
- 3.5) Add .ODS support : T45151
- 3.6) Update related conversations. [[ https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/How_to_deal_with_open_datasets | How to deal with open datasets ]],