Aspects to consider:
- The impact of unwanted cross-notificatons. Because of bundling, getting cross-notifications does not crowd the users notifications panel. It just adds one more notification item (that can be discarded). It has however, an effect in the notification counter.
- Managing settings on different wikis. Providing may detailed options on each wiki may result in a high flexibility but it may become impractical to adjust if the user is required to move across many different wikis and keep the global state in his/her head.
# Some scenarios
Some initial scenarios were discussed, more needs to be analysed in this area:
- **Use case 1:** I’m on frwiki, get notified from Commons that my image was used on arwiki; I find these notifs spammy and don’t want to receive them anywhere, even on Commons.
-- This doesn’t need to be a global preference if you’re okay with never seeing these notifications. It’s just a cross-wiki POST request to a specific wiki
-- Can be integrated à la volume control (T115264)
- **Use case 2:** I find a notif type that’s off by default, like it, want to switch it on, don’t want to go through 900 wikis to do it.
- **Use case 3:** I don’t want to see notifs from Commons except when I’m on Commons
-- (should we support this?)
- **Use case 4:** I want to mute all external notifications on a specific wiki
-- Could be addressed by keeping beta feature pref around (but probably not as a beta feature)