This task is about implementing a way to identify people who have opened the New Discussion Tool before.
=== Use Case(s)
Distinguishing people in the New Discussion Tool A/B test (T277825) who have opened the New Discussion Tool before the test started from people who have NOT opened the New Discussion Tool before the A/B test started.
- Whatever approach is taken to log whether people have opened the New Discussion Tool or not needs to be easily related to `EditAttemptStep`.
-- Note: "opened the New Discussion Tool" in this context means clicking an affordance that causes people to see the New Discussion Tool open on **a particular wiki**.
- Whatever trigger/event/value we use should NOT collide with anything that's set by the reply tool.
-- Said another way: we are looking for a trigger that'd ignore usage of the reply tool. //E.g. discussiontools-editmode preference is not empty would not let us know which tool (new discussion or reply tool) the person used.//
- [ ] 1. Editing Engineering implements an approach that satisfies the `===Requirements` above and can be used in the cases described in `===Use cases` (also above)
- [ ] 2. Editing QA verifies the preference Editing Engineering implemented is being changed/created at the expected moment. //Note: @DLynch to confirm whether this is necessary after he's implemented the preference.//
-- QA: Current state of the preference can be tested via mw.user.options.get( 'discussiontools-newtopictool-opened' ) in the console.
- [ ] 3. Product Analytics verifies the preference Editing Engineering implemented is being stored in the expected way/place