The [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page | MediaWiki action API ]] is a web service that allows access to some wiki-features like authentication, page operations, and search. It can provide meta information about the wiki and the logged-in user. Several Wikimedia projects make use of this API.
As of now, there are [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:MediaWiki_action_API | ~128 pages ]] on the Action API on MediaWiki.org. #developer-advocacy did a little [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:SSethi_(WMF)/Sandbox/Research_on_the_state_of_the_docs_of_mw_action_api | research on the state of the docs ]] and documented a few problems and recommendations for the next steps. One of the issues we decided to address was inconsistency. For example, some pages had the automated API docs embedded; some didn’t, some pages had code samples, some didn’t, etc. As a first step, we designed a [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Documentation_template | documentation template ]] and used it to re-write top 20 viewed pages of the API. But, we realized we could not improve 128 pages all by ourselves, and opened it to new Wikimedia contributors for help :-) Our Outreachy intern @Martyav put in a lot of good work in this and improved the next ~20 viewed pages and brought this project in good shape!
==== Project summary====
* Design a tabbed window to be integrated with MediaWiki either (like on the right here https://www.twilio.com/docs/usage/api). This might be possible with a template or Gadget.
* Generate code samples for modules that received some documentation improvements in Phase 1 and Phase 2 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198916
** Write sample code to demonstrate the use of Action modules that can be used in combination of a GET + POST request and it may not be feasible to get them to work with an auto-generator.
* Document the code samples on-wiki
* (OPTIONAL) Develop one or two demo apps around the use of Action APIs
==== Resources ====
* How to use or write Templates https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates
* Page translation https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_example
* Editing wiki pages https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Editing
* Learn how to use Phabricator https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help