IMPORTANT: Make sure to read the [GSoC participant instructions](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/Participants) and [communication guidelines](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_Developers/Communication_tips) thoroughly before commenting on this task. This space is for project-specific questions, so avoid asking questions about getting started, setting up Gerrit, etc. When in doubt, ask your question on [Zulip](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreach_programs/Zulip) first!
== Overview ==
The Wikisource Pagelist Widget is an [[https://mediawiki.org/wiki/OOUI|OOUI]] based widget that streamlines the process of creating a [[https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:ProofreadPage/Pagelist_tag|pagelist]] for new (and existing) users of [[https://wikisource.org/|Wikisource]].
While using the Pagelist widget, the user is presented with the picture of a scanned page and is asked to identify the page number on the scan. However, there is no option to zoom or pan the scanned image inside the Pagelist widget. Adding the option to zoom and/or pan the image will allow users to see the page number for scans that have a tiny font, or have lots of text (for example newspapers scans)
During the course of the project, the following should be accomplished:
- Review and test various zooming and panning libraries available.
- Integrate the library with the current code of the pagelist widget.
- If time permits, replace the old jQuery-based zooming and panning library used by the Page: namespace editor.
== Mentors ==
- @Soda (Sohom Datta)
- @Samwilson (Sam Wilson)
- @SGill (Satdeep Gill)
== Skills ==
- A basic knowledge of PHP may be required
== Micro tasks ==
- Setup the recommended [[https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Docker|MediaWiki development environment]].
- Setup the [[https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Proofread_Page|ProofreadPage extension]]
- Setup the [[https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:ProofreadPage/Pagelist_widget|pagelist widget]] and try to understand how it works.
- Work on #good_first_task's related to ProofreadPage. ([list of tasks](https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/d6hrNxkrDlPD/#R))