Write a media wiki extension/ Edit the collection extension that adds browser based pdf rendering support
- On the page that comes when you click on "Download as pdf", there should be a statement **TODO**, which includes a link to a pdf that was rendered by electronthe current sentence "Download the file to your computer" should be replaced with
> You can download two versions:
- The extension should send the article title to the servers that run the rendering service, checking that the article name does indeed exist before. **TODO**: When? Always render it or just when the person requests it? How long does the rendering take?> - Concise two-column layout (does not contain tables)
- The extension should then> - Layout similar to the webpage (complete)
Where the first one is a link to the latex file, behind the before mentionedsecond one is a link provideto the newly rendered versionelectron file
- The extension should check if the article really exists before sending it to the service
- The extension should then, behind the before mentioned link provide the newly rendered version
Since the webserver has not been setup yet, please use the toollabs server for now:
> https://pdf-electron.wmflabs.org/pdf?accessKey=secret&url=<YOUR URL HERE>
This task does not include any parts related to improved styling of the pdf
One of the wishes of the 2015 German-speaking community wishlist as well as the international community wishlist was the support of tables in pdfs: T135643.
It would take an enormous engineering effort to add tables to the current latex layout in a way that 80%-90% of the tables display correctly. 10%-20% would always be off due to the different capabilities of the two media (printed, layouted page versus HTML). Therefore the idea is to offer another way of rendering pdfs. The new browser-based rendering version will not have the well designed latex layout (at least for the start), but look like the printed website - not perfect for print, but at least complete.