**This is a proposal for outreachy(Round-11) to add ZIM support to OCG.**
**Public URL: **T73660
== Name and contact information ==
**Name: **Adisha Porwal
**Irc Nick:** adisha
**Mediawiki User:** Adishaporwal
**Time Zone: **UTC+5:30
**Typical working hours: **5:00 PM to 12:30 AM (Indian Standard Time)
==== Internet Presence ====
**Github Profile: ** [[ https://github.com/adishap/ | adishap ]]
**LinkedIn Profile: ** [[ https://in.linkedin.com/pub/adisha-porwal/8a/458/30a | Adisha Porwal ]]
**Twitter : ** [[ https://twitter.com/AdishaPorwal | @AdishaPorwal ]]
== Synopsis ==
=== Skills ===
=== How it will benefit MediaWiki or Wikimedia projects? ===
# Mediawiki hosted content can be availed offline in ZIM format to read everywhere with a reader like Kiwix.
# Integrate the functionalities of OCG and MWOffliner
=== Possible Mentors ===
# [[ https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/cscott/ | C. Scott Ananian ]]
# [[ https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/Kelson/ | Kelson ]]
== Deliverables ==
# OCG will be able to produce metadata about ResourceLoader modules ** (Milestone 1) **
# Code for conversion of bundle into HTML tree ** (Milestone 3) **
# Invoke 'zimwriterfs' to create the ZIM file ** (Milestone 4) **
# Create a Debian package of zimwriterfs ** (Milestone 5) **
== Schedule ==
**Before 17 November (Envision Phase)**
- Remain in constant touch with mentor(s) and community.
- Getting myself familiarize with development environment.
- Getting myself familiarize with working of Node.Js and packaging.
- Study required docs.
- Fix some bugs along the way and get my hands dirty with code.
**17-November-2015 to 6 December 2015 (Community bonding period) **
- Discussion on workflow for development phase with mentors and community
- Get myself familiar with architecture and implementation of OCG and MWOffliner
**7 December 2015
**Actual Coding period begins
**7 December 2015 to 12 December 2015 - __Milestone 1__**
- Send request to API sandbox to get metadata related to css/js dependencies.
**13 December 2015 to 27 December 2015 - __Milestone 2__**
**28 December 2015 to 15 January 2016 - __Milestone 3__**
- Transform the bundles genrated by OCG into standalone HTML tree.
**16 January 2016 to 20 January 2016**
- Test the portion of project completed and Documentation for Milestones achieved
- Getting my self familiar with working of MWOffliner
**20 January 2016 to 26 January 2016**
- Invoke zimwriterfs using OCG
- Discuss with mentor(s) with the future work on related milestone
**26 January 2016**
Mid Term Evaluation
**27 January 2016 to 3 February 2016 - __Milestone 4__**
- Convert HTML tree to ZIM format using zimwriterfs
**4 February 2016 to 22 February 2016 - __Milestone 5__ **
- Getting my self familiar with packaging
- Create Debian package of zimwriterfs
**23 February 2016 to 29 February 2016**
- Code Review by me and mentors
- Inact information from code review
- Conduct several tests
- Document the project
**1 March 2016 to 7 March 2016**
- A buffer period required for final polishing of work.
**7 March 2016**
Firm Pen Down
== Participation ==
==== Communication of progress ====
- **IRC channel**: I'll stay online on IRC at #kiwix, #mediawiki-parsoid, #wikimedia-dev in freenode, in my working hours.
- **Email**: I will report my progress using mails weekly.
- The project report will be updated on the [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Adishaporwal | sub-namespace ]] of my user page.
==== Where I would turn for help? ====
- Solve by myself
- Seek help from community
==== Source Code ====
- Source code will be pushed on a gerrit.
= About you =
I am Adisha Porwal, doing Masters in Computer Science from [[ http://iips.edu.in/ | IIPS-DAVV ]].I am enthusiastic and active member of [[ http://iips.edu.in/dc | Development Center ]] of my college.
My interest is to learn and explore more about web development.I want to be the part of organisation which is used by most people.
I promise to work for 7 hours during a normal day and 5 hours during exams.
== Current experience with mediawiki ==
- Have set-up the development environment of core , OCG and MWOffliner.
- Basic familiarity of code and code conventions.
- Understood the process of submitting a patch and review (phabricator, gerrit and git).
==== Microtasks and Bugs====
- Currently working on OCG should download resourceLoader js/css dependencies (T114788)
- Search input cut off in noJS mode (T98829)
- Empty message on watchlists is not center aligned (T103727)
== Past experience ==
=== FOSS Projects ===
My first encounter with FOSS was Linux. As a FOSS user, I use Ubuntu 14.04 as my operating system, Mozzila Firefox for browsing and PHP, Python and other open source languages for development.
However, as a open source contributor , I began with Mediawiki few months ago and submitted few patches in extension MobileFrontend and mw-ocg-bundler.
=== Other Projects ===
- Alumni Portal for institute ([[ https://github.com/adishap/alumniportal | Github Link ]])
- Complaint Management System for a organisation ([[ https://github.com/adishap/complaint_box | Github Link ]])
- Team and Score Management System for a college Event ([[ https://github.com/AkankshaRathore/Event-Result-View | Github Link ]])
== Other Information ==
**Do you meet the eligibility requirements outlined?:** Yes
**Preferred pronoun:** she
**Education:** Student at [[ http://iips.edu.in/ | International Institute of Professional Studies,DAVV ]] Graduating in December 2016
**How did you hear about this program:** A friend who participated in Outreachy (round 9) and GSoC 2015