The Release II ticket T205734 adds the capability to do Category filtering without Participants. To make that capability available for users, we need to adjust the filtering UI. A couple of points:
- **The filtering UI is not moving:** to the Settings page; it will remain on the Event Summary page. This is a request from Engineering.
- **Sequence of changes:**The changes in this UI adjustment are for Release II. They will come after the UI "Tweak" described in T209107, which will happen for Release I. So the changes specified there should be included or accounted for in these new designs.
=Design challenge/filtering logic
The statements below summarize functionality associated with independent categories as succinctly as I'm able to. Making the new requirements and functionality clear to users—without significantly changing the filtering UI—is the goal of this design ticket.
Some of the statements below will need to be made clear up front and announced clearly on the page via instruction text. Others may be more appropriately conveyed, or perhaps reinforced, through design choices and/or error messages (e.g., if the user included Wikidata as a wiki of interest but didn't provide Participants; or if the user includes an wiki that is not covered by filtering).
- Users must select Participant or Category filtering; these two can also be combined.
- Participant filtering applies to all wikis and therefor covers the minimum requirement for all.
- If users employ Categories without Participants, they must supply categories for //every wiki// for which they want results.
- However, they will get no metrics for Wikidata (where Category filtering doesn't work).
- Categories filter articles on Wikipedia and files on Commons (see language already provided for this in T209107)
- You can filter using talk page categories. Here is instruction text to that effect:
- You can include categories applied to talk pages; the system will behave as though the categories were applied to the associated main pages. Only main-page changes will be counted
T207214 describes two UI improvements for Category filter:
- Make the category lookup menu wider
- Make the category lookup menu display the number of pages per category item:
It seems like it would make sense to include the first of these in this ticket, but maybe not the second. Should that remain in a separate ticket?