Session at the Hackathon 2018, follow up session to T183318 (Growing the MediaWiki Technical Community, Dev Summit 2018).
Location & time: Sala de projectes, 12 pm.
Session notes: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Recommendation_system_hackathon2018
Fixing the recommendation system for tickets on Phabricator that can be picked up by volunteer developers was one of the possible action items that came out of the session //Growing the MediaWiki Technical Community// at the DevSummit 2018.
Problems with the current system:
* Scope is often unclear - #Need-volunteer and even sometimes #Easy can mean everything, from a small hackathon project to a two years effort for an entire team
* Often the project just doesn't have an owner, and it hasn't been estimated yet
* Tasks can be technically easy, but e.g. would require conversations with the broader communities
* Not clear who to get advice from when working on the task
* Task might be outdated, e.g. another team/person already plans to work on a related project
In this session we would like to discuss the current task recommendation system for both, newcomers and experienced developers (especially: experiences with working on tickets that are tagged with "easy" or "need-volunteer") and gather ideas for improvement.
We will bring a few examples for the usage of "easy"/"need-volunteer" as well as first ideas for improvement to kick off the discussion.
Bring your experiences, bring your ideas :-)
**Session hosts**: @WMDE-Fisch, @Bmueller , @AKlapper
Former discussions or initiatives related to the topic of the session: E.g. T146960 (focus is on "easy" tag) , [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_Developers | New Developers Initiative ]] ...