Dropdown containing user tools links in page header
We're currently overloading our page headers with user tools links and that's making it difficult to use that space for important links and notices (such as a link back to the Getting Started special page).
I've built a simple mockup* (see attachment) to illustrate the idea. I'm sure this has been thought of before, but I think it's time to finally execute on it, or at least re-open this for discussion. It's currently styled under the assumption that we're reusing the Guiders extension to display popovers, but I'm open to changing it to look like a more traditional dropdown menu.
* Frees up some much needed screen real-estate for important links
* Makes user tools more scannable
* Makes things look nicer on small resolutions.
* Potential loss of feature discoverability
* Information architecture not optimal; perhaps things like watchlist shouldn't be grouped with the user's talk page
* _________________ (fill in the blanks)
I suppose a valid no-JS/CSS3 fallback would be to display the links as they are now.
* The omission of "Preferences" was accidental; I'll have to update the mockup later to reflect that.
//attachment UserDropdown.png ignored as obsolete//