Proposal for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T274635
Note: Please give your valuable feedback.
**Name** : Amritesh Anand
**IRC nickname** : A. Amritesh
**Email** : email@example.com
**Web Profile** : https://github.com/amritesh19
**Blog** : https://amriteshanand19.medium.com/
**Location** : Patna, Bihar, India
**Time zone** : UTC +5:30
**Typical working hours** : 11 AM to 7 PM
On college days, 5 PM to 11 PM
**Possible Mentor(s)** : @Jayprakash12345 @KCVelaga @APerson
**Have you contacted your mentors already?** Yes
- Design and draft a 4-unit (missions) narrative. Update the script whenever necessary.
- Do research and find the suitable game design for this tour and the way how it should be implemented.
- Work (and seek help) on design and User Interface of the tour.
- Implement the missions:
- Mission 1: Basic Intro
- Mission 2: Using MediaWiki’s JS module
- Mission 3: Using MediaWiki API
- Mission 4: Using OOUI (Optional for users)
- Bug testing and fixing the code whenever needed
- Integrating the UI and missions
- Documentation of the Guided Tour
- Publishing the project in MediaWiki
**Community Bonding Period (May 17, 2021 - June 7, 2021)**:
| Period | Week No | Task |
| ------- | ---------- | ----- |
| May 17 - May 23 | Week 1 | Designing and drafting the flow of narratives of missions. |
| May 23 - May29 | Week 2 | Study more about The Wikipedia Adventure and take inspiration from it.
| | |Study game design and find the suitable one for this tour (and ways to implement it). |
| May 29 -June 7 | Week 3 | Study about the User Interface development. Design the theme and key elements for this tour. |
**Coding Period (June 7, 2021 - August 16, 2021)** :
| Period | Week No | Timeline
| ------- | ---------- | ----- |
| June 7 -June 13 | Week 1| Start working on the drafted script of Mission 1.
|June 13 -June 19| Week 2| Implementation and bug fixing of Mission 1.
|June 19 -June 25| Week 3| Start working on the drafted script of Mission 2.
|June 25 -July 1| Week 4| Implementation and bug fixing of Mission 2.
|July 1 -July 7| Week 5| Start working on the drafted script of Mission 3.
|July 7 -July 12| Week 6| Implementation and bug fixing of Mission 3.
|July 12 -July 16| Evaluation I | Preparing for evaluation and to resolve any delay in bug fixing
|July 17 -July 23| Week 7| Start working on the drafted script of Mission 4.
|July 24 -July 31| Week 8| Implementation and bug fixing of Mission 4.
|August 1 – August 7| Week 9| Integrating the User Interface and missions.
|August 8 – August 16| Week 10| Updating the project based on community feedback. Improving documentation of the project.
**Student Final Evaluation (August 16, 2021 – August 23, 2021)**:
- Publication of the Guided tour and its final documentation (after final approval of mentor).
- Submission of my project.
**August 23, 2021 - August 30, 2021**:
- A blog post about the whole journey of GSOC 21 and experience gained at WMF.
**August 31, 2021 and later**:
- Explore other projects of WMF to contribute to.
- Participate in future programs as a volunteer and a mentor.
- A progress report every week to my mentors.
- Blog post on completion of each major deliverables like after each mission, or after finding suitable game design and UI theme (almost biweekly).
- I will share my source code using MediaWiki.
- I will maintain a workboard on MetaWiki (or Phabricator) for the above-mentioned deliverables.
- Regular communication with my mentors and other community members at WMF.
- I will be available on Zulip during my working hours and on Gmail on non-working hours.
I am an undergraduate student, pursuing Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Agartala. I am in the fourth semester of my eight-semester program.
**How did you hear about this program?**
I come to know about this program from my seniors.
**Will you have any other time commitments, such as school work during the duration of the program?**
I have my holidays (post-exam holiday and summer vacation) from 21st May to 21st July (8 weeks). So, I will have my semester exam till the first four days of the Community bonding period. Till 20th July, I do not have any other commitments. I am dedicated to giving at least 30 hours a week till the project gets completed (after 21st July).
**We advise all candidates eligible for Google Summer of Code and Outreachy to apply for both programs. Are you planning to apply to both programs and, if so, with what organization(s)?**
I am only applying to Google Summer of Code 2021.
**What does making this project happen mean to you?**
Although many activities of open-source were going on since my childhood. The very first time I realized about it and WMF when I was doing Specialization on Journalism from Coursera. Contributing to this project would give me a great chance to integrate with the vision of WMF. The phenomenon of collaboration and contribution in WMF is amazing and I want to be part of it. This project will help the newbie developers to use and contribute to user scripts and gadgets, this motivation is enough for me to work on it.
**Describe any relevant projects that you've worked on previously and what knowledge you gained from working on them.**
- My team has participated in Hackabull Hackathon, where we build a tool to encounter Cyberbullying. I have made the front-end of this project. [Devpost](https://devpost.com/software/combating-cyberbullying) [Github](https://github.com/amritesh19/Frontend-CyberX)
**Describe any open source projects you have contributed to as a user and contributor (include links).**
- Existing CSS does not change background-color for <code> elements. Different snippets are added here each for [data-diff-action='insert'] and [data-diff-action='remove'] in the existing data-diff-action attribute selector.
- [DiffElement: Add CSS for <code> tag](https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/VisualEditor/VisualEditor/+/676786) T277211 (Merged)
- As part of the review with a volunteer UX Writer, suggestions were made to simplify the instructions on several steps of the Section Translation workflow.
- [en.json: Change instructions](https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/ContentTranslation/+/676801) T275194 (Patch for review)
**Task 1 : **[User:A. Amritesh/tour.js](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:A._Amritesh/tour.js)
- Guided Minitour for Basic Introduction to UserScript
**Task 2 : **[User:A. Amritesh/OOUI-Demo.js](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:A._Amritesh/OOUI-Demo.js)
- I have created a userscript which enables dark focus in the page using OOUI Popup Widget.
**Task 3 :** [User:A. Amritesh/API-OOUI-Demo.js](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:A._Amritesh/API-OOUI-Demo.js)
I have created a user script that makes queries using MediaWiki API and shows it using OOUI Custom Widget.
- It makes queries about the first and last editor of the current page (inspiration from phab:T274635). It also leads to the respective introduction page of the editor.
- Another query is about the five most viewed pages of MediaWiki and its count. It also leads to the respective page.