Currently the New filters for Edit Review provide two separate selectors to control thWe've decided not to pursue a number of features that had been planned for the New Filters UI—and for which we'd reserved open space. Meanwhile, users have shown a great desire for compactness of the UI, so as to leave more room for search results.
The following changes will enable us to save vertical space and create a more effective UX. These changes should be made on all pages that have the New Filters UI, including Recent Changes and Watchlist.
==Combine number of results and the time period of the results shown.panels
Given that several of the options were not finally included - The number of results and the time period panels are combined into one (for layout, see illustration below).
- Current settings are reflected in the title of the button, in the following format: x changes, we can combine these selectors into one and simplify the UI in a way that allows us to make better use ofx days.
- The button also gets a gear/settings icon.
- Labels are added to the available spacetwo panels, in particular avoidto differentiate the extra space that "newest changes" option requires.m:
- Results to show
- Time period to search
The mockups below illustrate the idea:==Make the "View newest changes" link more prominent
- A settings button is provided to adjust both aspects.Because the "View Newest Changes link loads results more quickly than full page reload, we want to encourage it's usage. If we integrate the "view newest changes" link with the other controls, we can increase it's prominence and save some space. Here are the details:
- Move the indicator to it's new position !!@Pginer-WMF please specify this exactly. See the discussion below for questions.!!
- Reducing the number of options allows to have room to show the "View newest changes" in the same line while still centered over the list of results that it affects, no longer requiring additional vertical space.
As a drawback, checking the current status for these display settings requires to open the selector. If needed, to facilitate the discovery we can show a generic label or surface the internal information, but the additional space gained will be much less for each of those - Add a reload icon.
The mockups below illustrate these idea: