Notify users when their username is linked to in the edit summary.
This feature was result #2 on the 2017 Community Wishlist. Wishlist project documentation: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Ping_users_from_the_edit_summary
====Example use cases
//splitting section into two, as per discussion with [[User:Apples]]//
//rewriting this section -- [[User:Apples]] and [[User:Bananas]], please check that I've done this correctly?//
These requirements are not finalized. Please discuss these in the comments below or on the [[https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Tech/Ping_users_from_the_edit_summary|project talk page]].
* Notifications will be delivered if a user types in [[User:*]] in the edit summary. Pipes and templates will not be supported.
** Should support the localized namespace name for the wiki's language (e.g. [[Benutzer:Apples]] in German or [[利用者:Apples]] in Japanese.)
* The contents of the notification (on-wiki and email) should be:
** Icon: Existing Mention icon Echo mention icon.svg
** Text: Username mentioned you in an edit summary on pagename.
*** Should use the same pagename detection logic as the existing Mention notification.
*** Page name should be bolded.
** First few characters of the edit summary, truncated with an ellipsis so the preview displays on one line.
** Link & person icon to user who mentioned you
** When the on-wiki notification is clicked or the 'View mention' button is clicked in an email, the notification should navigate the user to the diff page of the mention
** Email subject: Username mentioned you on wikiname
* TBD: Throttling. In general, we will use whatever already exists for other notifications, including limiting the total number of pings a user can send in a time frame.
** Reverts should only trigger the existing Revert notification. If users have the 'Revert' notification preference disabled they should not receive either notification.
** If a user types the same username in the same edit summary, only one notification should be sent.
** When the 'Mention' notification preference is disabled, the notification should not be delivered, for both on-wiki and email notifications
** Mute list should be respected (e.g. If Apples mutes Bananas, Bananas can link to [[User:Apples]] in an edit summary but Apples will not receive either an on-wiki or email notification.)
* A maximum of 5 users can be pinged per edit summary. Any additional usernames can be saved as the summary but should not send a notification
* If the user has the 'successful mention' or 'failed mention' notification preferences, they should receive an appropriate notification if their edit summary pings was successful or failed.
* Finalize requirements
* Answer open questions on wiki page
* Get sign-off from Collaboration team
- **Purpose of the notification**: Let a user know when they have been mentioned in an edit summary.
- **Notification name**: Edit summary mention
- **What triggers notification?:** Linking to their username in an edit summary (e.g. Made an edit that [[User:Apples]] and I discussed on the talk page.)
- **"Notice" or "Alert"?: ** Alert
- **Notification type (standard, bundled, expandable bundle): ** Standard
For a single message
-- **Header:** `Username` mentioned you in an edit summary on `pagename`.
-- **Body: ** First N characters of the edit summary
- **Primary link target: ** Diff page of the edit
- **Primary link label (for email display only): ** View mention
- **#1 secondary link target:** User page of user who sent Mention
- **#1 secondary link label: ** Username of user who sent Mention
- **Icon name: ** Echo mention icon.svg
- **Link to graphic/example:** https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Echo_mention_icon.svg