Throughout the Thank You Campaign in 2019 of this year and throughout all the EU Copyright Directive community actions, it became clear that the Wikimedia Movement fundamentally lacks a clear location to host engaging content in a setting that gives us the flexibility and functionality as well as the ability to utilise at a moments notice.
INITIATIVES.WIKIMEDIA.ORG aims to provide a suitable location to host landing pages similar in options and capability to donate.wikimedia.org.
An external website:
* Meta or other project
* Foundation Website
* Bespoke wiki built as needed.
EXISTING OPTIONS AND LIMITATIONS
- Toolforge - Unsuitable from a domain perspective.
- Meta.wiki - Has template styles. Doesn’t allow RawHTML and access is too broad.
- Donate.wiki - Meets most criteria but is a highly sensitive wiki due to its fundamental role within the fundraising pipeline. The wiki should be kept dedicated to the donation flow and shouldn’t have broader access or multiple uses for security reasons.
- Payments.wiki - Where actions require tie in directly to the payments flow (like explicit repermissioning) then it makes sense to utilise Payments but beyond that simply isn’t appropriate.
- foundation.wiki - now more a document storage wiki and not really suited for this purpose and also doesn’t have rawhtml.
- wikimediafoundation.org - The Wikimedia foundation website whilst blessed with the rapid publication commons with wordpress sites, the annual report this year has indicated that it's restrictive from a design perspective and lacks extensive multilingual capabilities for the near and mid-term future.
- people.wikimedia.org - Not suitable.
- External websites - Wordpress has it’s uses but the wikimediafoundation.org website has shown the limitation presented by wordpress. Adaptability is limited and translation of content is currently non-existent. Multiple CTA’s are a challenge. Have their uses but doesn’t meet the above requirements.
- Bespoke wiki’s such as fixcopyright.wikimedia.org - These wikis have their purposes but fixcopyright.wikimedia.org showed the challenges faced in a fast paced multilingual online campaign. Process and planning will solve some forthcomings but creating a wiki for every project is not a long term solution.
The suggestion is therefore create a wiki purely for programmatic online campaigns.
* FundraisingLandingPage (See: T167374)
* No public account creation.
* Publicly viewable.