Name: Awah Nadege Tayebatu
IRC nickname on Freenode: tybanash
Web Profile: https://github.com/tybanash
Typical working hours: 2:00 AM to 5:00 AM and 4:00 PM to 11:00 PM
The [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page |MediaWiki action API ]] is a RESTful web based API which allows the performance of wiki-actions such as searching, creating and editing wiki pages and acquiring wiki meta-information. The aim of this project is to improve the documentation of ~20 top 100 most viewed MediaWiki action API pages on-wiki. This will be carried out by doing the following:
- Updating the documentation of the API pages to follow the [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Documentation_template | documentation template ]].
- Contributing code samples to illustrate the use of the different API modules.
In addition, a bot will also be developed which mass edits sample codes from the [[https://github.com/wikimedia/MediaWiki-Action-API-Code-Samples|MediaWiki API demos repository]] to the corresponding API page on mediawiki.org.
Due to the fact the documentation of the wiki pages will be improved to follow the documentation template, it will lead to a coherent documentation of the API pages. The improved documentation together with the sample codes will help new users and contributors learn about the API and understand it faster. The bot on the other hand will help eliminate the time spent on implementing any changes made on the sample code files in the repository to the API wiki pages and vice-versa hence helping to maintain the API.
=== Possible Mentor
Jerop Brenda @jeropbrenda
**- Have you contacted your mentors already?**- **Have you contacted your mentor already?** Yes, I have been communicating with my mentor throughout the application process.
==== Prior to Internship Period
# **Before the accepted interns are announced: 4th to 26th November**
- Finalize my pending contribution: I am presently awaiting review for my third contribution. So, during this time I will receive feedback and implement necessary changes.
- Work on other API and documentation related tasks on Phabricator.
# **After interns are announced: 26th November to 3rd December**
- Use [[ https://tools.wmflabs.org/massviews/?platform=all-access&agent=user&source=category&target=https%3A%2F%2Fmediawiki.org%2Fwiki%2FCategory%3AMediaWiki_action_API&range=latest-20&subjectpage=0&subcategories=1&sort=views&direction=1&view=list | Massviews Analysis of pages under MediaWiki action API category ]] to determine the API pages that need improvement and do an evaluation of what has to be done on them.
- Work with the project mentor to finalize my project timeline and set evaluation feedback periods.
-Discuss about my idea of the bot.
# **3rd December to 4th February (9 weeks)**: Work with 2 to 3 API pages per week in order to have improved at least 20 pages at the end of this time frame. This will be carried out by doing the following:
- For each module, I will write the sample code and update the readme files while rewriting the API page in my sandbox using the documentation template. I will also create a sub page of the sample code and transclude to my sandbox.
- The next step will be to create a new branch on git bash, add the changes, commit and push them and create a pull request on github.
- Submit my sandbox page for review.
- Implement any changes requested.
I have been communicating with my mentor throughout the application process - After pull request is merged, I will paste the contents of my sandbox to the API page.
==Deliverables#**4th February to 3rd March (4 weeks)**
Describe the timeline of your work with deadlines and milestones, broken down week by week. Make sure to include time you are planning to allocate for investigation, coding, deploying, testing and document-Work on bot.
==ParticipationDescribe how you plan to communicate progress and ask for help, where you plan to publish your source code, etc
Describe how you plan to communicate progress and ask for help, where you plan to publish your source code, etc
Tell us about a few:
- Your education (completed or in progress)
- How did you hear about this program?
- Will you have any other time commitments, such as school work, another job, planned vacation, etc, during the duration of the program?
- We advise all candidates eligible for Google Summer of Code and Outreachy to apply for both programs. Are you planning to apply to both programs and, if so, with what organization(s)?
- What does making this project happen mean to you?
Describe any relevant projects that you've worked on previously and what knowledge you gained from working on them. Describe any open source projects you have contributed to as a user and contributor (include links). If you have already written a feature or bugfix for a Wikimedia technology such as MediaWiki, link to it here; we will give strong preference to candidates who have done so
==Any Other Info
Add any other relevant information such as UI mockups, references to related projects, a link to your proof of concept code, etc