Let's use the Phabricator task to come up with ideas for supporting people who are at a wikimedia event for the first time!
Efforts already in motion:
* Buddy system
* Veterans have been asked if they are willing to help newbies, and we now have an identified list of people who are willing to chat with newcomers.
* WMFr is setting up a "welcome" table at the hackathon to chat with everyone as they walk in the door before the check into the hotel/get settled.
* Newbie table at the hackathon that is always staffed (veterans get shifts)
* Physically identify (with lanyard, sash, button, hat) people who are willing to be interrupted/want to help newbies
* Some sort of break the ice activity, dividing people up into groups based on that they are interested in
Please help by brainstorming here! It will be fun to come up with completely new ideas. Thanks! These ideas can both be used in Lyon and Mexico City. We will have a higher % of newbies in Mexico City.