This task tracks a proposal from the [[ https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/ | 2016 Community Wishlist Survey ]]. This proposal received 48 support votes and was ranked #21 out of 265 proposals:
=== Problem ===
When someone click on a coordinates link, he is redirect to [[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GeoTemplate | en:Template:GeoTemplate ]] (wp:en version) but :
- Geohack isn't manage by the WMF. It's a volunteer interface. It's host on wikilabs, It's surely the most used tools of wikilabs. I don't think wikilabs should host so useful tools. So when wikilabs was/will be down, Geohack is down, and for everyone is very complicated to geolocate coordinates on wikipedia without Geohack.
- Geohack has one version for each wikipedia, I still don't understand why each wikipedia need a different interface and a different list of siteweb for access to a map. Did each wikipedia have a different interface for visualize a picture ?
- Geohack interface doesn't upgrade (for many reason). The shared part of Geohack's interface doesn't upgrade ; Many and many wiki doesn't upgrade or maintain the "editorial" part of Geohack. [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Kartographer | Kartographer ]] should be much prominent on lot of version of Geohack. Exemple : Geohack's english version still have it visualization windows down since january 2016, not body care. See the buged grey square on en:Template:GeoTemplate...
Others stuffs :
- Kartographer should replace some visualisation's tools on lot of wiki, tools like WikiMiniatlas or WikiOpenStreetMap.
- Kartographer could be used on some infobox on wikipedia. (It's not permit currently, only on Wikivoyage)
- Lot and lot of coordinates links aren't clickable on wikidata (like on [[ https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q21650786 | d:Q21650786 ]], [[ https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q555925 | d:Q555925 ]], [[ https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q461210 | d:Q461210 ]]). I have report the problem few month ago, still not resolved...
More generally, I'm a occasional reader of [[ http://liveuamap.com/ | Liveuamap ]] (founded on 2014) or [[ http://wikimapia.org/ | Wikimapia ]] (founded on 2006). For me, Wikimedia should offer similar services...
=== Who would benefit ===
Reader of geographic pages or pages which have coord on wikipedia/wikipedia/commons/wikinews/wikivoyage...
=== Proposed solution ===
WMF should more directly manage Geohack. Simple. The development of [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Kartographer | Kartographer ]] is done. It's the hard part of the job. Just need to more deploy that.
=== Technical details ===
=== Time, expertise and skills required ===
=== Suitable for ===
-- e.g. Hackathon, GSOC, Outreachy, etc.
=== Proposer ===
=== Related links ===