Every time I open any page in any wiki, I get between 8-11 HTML comments like this:
<!-- Please do not use role attribute as CSS selector, it is deprecated. -->
This is wrong on so many levels:
- It is adding a huge traffic overhead. Just in March 2021, we had 24B page views and this adds around 0.5KB to the payload => **12 TB extra traffic** a month.
- 12 TB according to [[https://www.websitecarbon.com/how-does-it-work/|CO2 calculator]] is equivalent to 10.3 ton of extra CO2.
- It adds 0.5 to every parser cache and edge cache entry reducing their efficiency (they can store less entries in memory)
- This doesn't count extra traffic in special pages (they are not counted as page views) or third party mediawiki instances.
- Keep it in mind: We are enjoying an effortless and easy and cheap internet connection. Not everyone in the world is so lucky.
- DOM of Wikipedia is the way to communicate with gadget developers. We have Tech News. We have mass message. They will very likely miss this.
- It is in English, assumes gadget developers know English (or must know English). It sends a bad signal at best.
We have been squeezing byte after byte from the default payload, please don't add such a large overhead.